Reach glove

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Reach glove

Postby robert1977 » December 15th, 2011, 4:55 pm

I bought a nice little Reach glove off eBay. I think it's from the 1950s or early 1960s, and I have a couple questions.

1. The glove is stamped with a triangle logo and "Geo. A. Reach Co." is stamped in the palm. Below that, the palm is stamped, "Not connected with any other corporation." Why was this done? I've' seen this on other Reach gloves before, and I've always wondered about it.

2. The Pat. No. is 2231204. I cant' figure out when this glove was made or if it's for baseball or for softball. The pinky is a bit thicker than some 1950s MacGregors I have, but everything else seems to be about the same size. There's no endorsement on it.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I love this board.
robert1977
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Reach glove

Postby BretMan » December 15th, 2011, 6:21 pm

The AJ Reach Sporting Goods Company, founded by Alexander Reach, dates back to the late 1890's. The Geo. A. Reach Company, which came along later, was actually an entirely separate entity, founded by a relative of Alexander Reach. I'm not sure if the "disclaimer" was stamped on the Geo. Reach gloves due to some sort of contractural or legal requirement, to clarify to the consumer that it was a different brand altogether or just as a courtesy to the other company. But it's there!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Reach glove

Postby robert1977 » December 16th, 2011, 11:52 am

Very interesting. Sounds like someone didn't want to get sued.
robert1977
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures