Does anybody really know what glove this is ?

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Does anybody really know what glove this is ?

Postby Bill247 » November 29th, 2011, 12:16 am

With apologies to Chicago and to anyone too young to appreciate the reference. Does the strip at the base of the thumb and/of the stiching across the back give any help to an ID? I think I see G54 or 654 ??? in the pocket. But no other identifiers. The lacing in the web seems original. Any help?[img][IMG]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa441/Bill247PR/UNK2.jpg[/img][imgImage][/img][/img]
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Does anybody really know what glove this is ?

Postby okdoak » November 29th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Here's the link to an older post that shows an R.H. Macy glove that looks almost identical to yours (except for the web). Mike pointed out that Denkert had the original patent for that style, so maybe it was made by them? Wishin' it was Saturday and I was In the Park. :)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4337&p=21938&hilit=wingtip#p21938
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Bill247 » November 29th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Thanks. Does that mean that Denkart,perhaps, or another manufacturer produced a seperate line of gloves for Macy's and other retail outlets or did they use the same glove for their own line but with the Denkart brand stamped on the glove? Is the patent date an acceptable way to date the glove? ImageHere's the front. Thanks again
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Kenny Wel » November 29th, 2011, 9:44 pm

I really like the interesting pattern on this glove. I sure would like to have one, or 25 or 6 or 4!

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » November 30th, 2011, 12:10 am

I love the way gloves move around this hobby. I am now the owner of the R.H. Macy glove pictured in that link. Bought it a year or so ago from vintagebrett.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » November 30th, 2011, 2:16 pm

It's tough to get an accurate date on a glove with just the patent date. Every now and then I'll see a mid 1950s glove on ebay that the seller thinks is from 1941 because of the patent number stamped on it. The best way to pin it down is with Joe Phillips' Catalog Source Book. Then check JD's http://www.baseballglovecollector.com to see if there's a copy of the catalog that shows the glove. It's really helpful especially if you have a glove model that was made for quite a few years, say like Wilson's Rogers Hornsby 648 which spanned 1927-41. Unfortunately, hardly any catalog information has turned up for Denkert. I think that all you can do for now is make an educated guess based on the web and unique seam style on your glove. Early 1930s :?:
Denkert did make their own line of gloves as well as supplying them for department and sporting goods outlets under those stores' labels.
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures