Recent finds and pickups

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Re: Recent finds and pickups

Postby vintagebrett » August 14th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Great items Mike. I have a few of those CSF models - very well made. You're right that you don't see the orange/black tag that often.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » August 20th, 2015, 4:43 pm

I was lucky to purchase the Horace Partridge mitt Mike mentioned on the August glove of the month thread. After getting it, I feel like it may be a fielders mitt rather than a base mitt. It's similar to other fielder mitts I've had from the time frame and the shape/construction would lead you to have the same feeling if you had it in hand. Thrilled to own it.

IMG_5775.JPG

IMG_5776.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » September 8th, 2015, 2:56 pm

A recent pickup. A cool looking 19th century catchers mitt. A big boy at about 12" diameter with some unique features. The lace-up palm is the most recognizable. The two part webbing is what really grabbed me though. The first part of the web on the back is a series of laced eyelets on the thumb and body of the mitt to cinch up the thumb

The other part of the pocket webbing on the front is this really quirky extension of the reinforced palm leather on the thumb side that forms a flap overlaying the body of the mitt, all cinched together with lacing through eyelets. The adjustment of this lacing works independent of the lacing on the back. The whole design is something I have never seen before.

mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 11th, 2015, 12:47 pm

A recent find. A 1920's Dubow "Johnny Mostil" model glove in near mint condition. I had the Wards Marathon version years ago. It was made by Dubow with the same wrap around thumb seam protector and finger crotch "Protecto Seam". Interesting note; the "Protecto Seam" was invented by Jason Draper back around 1901for his catchers mitts.

D&M 1901 patentz.jpg

This idea was transferred by Dubow to the fielders glove fingers to keep from busting loose seams at the base of the fingers. This was Dubow's flagship model in the 20's and sports a cool cloth patch not often seen.

mikesglove

Postby wilsonjb » September 12th, 2015, 12:06 am

Here's another type of seam protection. I used to own this particular glove and always thought it was pretty cool. It's a Edward Tryon full web with the lower seam protectors. Very sold glove and a great early example.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
wilsonjb
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 12th, 2015, 2:08 pm

It's a cool looking glove. A few other retailers sold that style glove. Brett has a really nice Schemlzer Arms version. Moore & Evans also carried it. From my research, it seems the glove was manufactured by J.A. Peach Co. circa 1910 and sold through these different retailers. Although the following patent drawing illustrates reinforcement of a catchers mitt, I believe it also applies for that finger reinforcement.
patents_002zz.jpg
Sometimes the Peach glove was re-branded such as Tryon and Schemlzer and other times sold as the J.A. Peach brand through a retailer like Bigelow and Dowse. There is a write up about this on the forum. http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4878
An interesting note; Bert Kennedy of KenWel Sporting Goods applied for a patent in 1926 for this bifurcated patch reinforcement for use on handball gloves.
patents_002z.jpg
mikesglove

Postby johnmilner » September 13th, 2015, 12:55 pm

That Johnny Mostil is a real beaut!
I sold one a little while back, that while nice, sure wasn't mint. That is an outstanding glove.
johnmilner
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » September 14th, 2015, 1:46 pm

That Dubow is really great - nice pickup Mike. When I saw it I figured it would come down to you and Rob. The tag on the back is cool - I had one Dubow with black and white tagging but have never seen the one on the back of yours.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ebbets55 » September 14th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Mike, that catchers mitt came out beautifully. You did such a wonderful job getting it back together. Not only are you the master researcher but you are proving yourself a master craftsman as well.

I haven't added much lately but this one fits into the collection perfectly. I'm super pleased with it. Maybe one day I'll get around to cleaning it.

JD
Attachments
Les Munns DM G17 2 Finger Front.JPG
Les Munns D&M G17 Front
Les Munns DM G17 2 Finger Back.JPG
Les Munns D&M G17 Back
ebbets55

Postby johnmilner » September 15th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Was that Mostil snagged through eBay?
johnmilner
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 16th, 2015, 11:30 am

Yes it was.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » October 4th, 2015, 2:14 am

A recent find. A 1940's Goldsmith "Flexo Model" glove. There were a couple on JD's site I had been admiring for years. I would have bought this one for the web only. I don't have anything else close to that. The gussets in the backs of the fingers were a bonus.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » October 5th, 2015, 1:52 pm

A recent find. A really cool Wright & Ditson baseman/fielders mitt circa 1910. Great fit on the hand. Nice cloth patch and logo still visible on the front of the mitt. The strap web is sewn to the thumb and attached through a grommet to the mitt lacing.

mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » October 26th, 2015, 8:17 am

It's been difficult to find Sonnett gloves on my want list but was able to purchase two recently. One is a Jack Brandt model made for Oshman's Sporting Goods (Oshman's makes a brief appearance in the most excellent movie "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.") The other is a Albie Pearson model from the 1964 catalog - to my knowledge it's the only Sonnett model featuring the diamond in the pocket.

IMG_6290.JPG

IMG_6291.JPG

IMG_6292.JPG

IMG_6293.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » December 1st, 2015, 4:55 am

An early Reach sewn web model OBR. I like the color of the leather and that it has a smooth finish. I believe this is the smoke colored horsehide available in a few of the Reach gloves over the years. The padding is not broken in so the glove feels new when on the hand.

mikesglove

PreviousNext

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures