Recent finds and pickups

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Re: Recent finds and pickups

Postby demian1 » October 2nd, 2014, 7:13 am

I don't know why I am posting this..I suppose I am going to be using this forum to vent my frustrations...sigh.

I live abroad and just can't accumulate much stuff, and just can't get this...well, most probably....and I am not interested in amassing a huge collection of gloves. Laugh as you may..i know it always starts out that way!

That said, sigh..I would be all over this one if I could. THE one on my very short list..such an important historical piece. The earliest, most beautiful Bill Doak I could find available for a while within my budget.

Does this measure up for those of you with all the experience,etc..? Merely curious.
Definitely a YES from me...will probably go for only $100 too. Images saved for reference..and 'wish i could have,' etc..viewing.

Ah...I just can't. I couldn't be MORE self indulgent and irresponsible these days! damnit..

(as a note, of course I have no vested interest in posting this...merely genuine interest. Remove the link if you must)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111472279720?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
Doak1922f.jpg
Doak1922e.jpg
Doak1922d.jpg
Doak1922c.jpg
Doak1922b.jpg
Doak1922.jpg
demian1
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby demian1 » October 2nd, 2014, 7:22 am

Wow...Great stuff.

All of these posts as well above...wow..great collection and eye you have.
Thanks a lot for posting them all. Genuinely enjoyed viewing.

Kind regards

mikesglove wrote:I posted photos earlier of two circa 1949 MacGregor Goldsmith "Snare" base mitts. They are "trapper" style with an interlocking tunnel webbing. I had been on the lookout for an early version and this Goldsmith Micky Heath model is a nice one. It is circa 1933 and stamped "The Snare" on the thumb. It is more of an "oven mitt" look and the webbing is wildly different than my MacG versions. The web lacing is really intricate through the vertical tunnel. It is not too much of a leap to see the "Claw" base mitt design coming out of this. Base mitts can be a good sign post for where fielders glove designs are headed. I can see the T-web and "Trapeze" gloves evolving out of these base mitt innovations.

demian1
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » October 4th, 2014, 7:29 pm

demian1 wrote:That said, sigh..I would be all over this one if I could. THE one on my very short list..such an important historical piece. The earliest, most beautiful Bill Doak I could find available for a while within my budget.

Does this measure up for those of you with all the experience,etc..? Merely curious.
Definitely a YES from me...will probably go for only $100 too. Images saved for reference..and 'wish i could have,' etc..viewing.

That Doak glove did sell for $99. There are a fair amount of Original 1920's Doak gloves with the trap webbing out there. It was one of the most popular gloves for decades and I agree that it was a landmark invention. The ebay example has a few condition issues such as the torn out web grommet, torn cloth patch and overall wear and tear. The glove has a mostly black exterior leather and not a nice reddish brown. The Original models had a white leather inner lining. That is barely discernible in the ebay glove. The winning bid is about right considering condition. I personally would pass on it. I would want two intact and readable cloth patches, good factory markings on the front and leather that still has some life left in it. That being said, a decent one would be tough to find for under $150. Below are 2 photos of a Doak glove from ebay last year. That is my idea of a really presentable glove
doa.jpg
doa1.jpg
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » October 6th, 2014, 12:22 pm

More 1940's equipment. First is a large high quality MW brand "Pee Wee Reese" model 4227. Super soft leather.

Second is a MacGregor Goldsmith "Bill Dickey" model catchers mitt. Top of the line in its day. It has the cool "Vulcan Greeting" finger stalls with finger loops in each section. Surprisingly comfortable on the hand.

Last is a fabulous Wilson "Bill Terry DeLuxe" model base mitt. Another top mitt in its day.

I was trying to figure out why the extra lacing was added under the perimeter lacing at the front edge of the mitt. I wondered if it was added after the fact by someone but it looked as vintage as the surrounding lace. I checked out a 1939 Wilson catalog and found the answer. WIlson added the lace as a "Pocket Pucker" adjustment. You can see where each end of the lace is knotted at the back. A player could cinch up the lace to make the pocket more concave. Interesting feature. The catalog image is below.
mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » October 8th, 2014, 8:23 am

Here's a label I'd not come across before - Bucky Warren Inc. from Boston, MA. I think the glove was made by Kennedy Bros. bu I'm not positive. Endorsed by Carl Erskine, it's a well made glove.
Attachments
buckywarren-carlerskine1.JPG
buckywarren-carlerskine2.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » October 8th, 2014, 8:24 am

Picked up this top line white webless glove. Someone in their infinite wisdom decided at some point in time to hang it on the wall - made holes in the fingers to run a lace to hold it up. Doh!
Attachments
unknown-whitewebless1.JPG
unknown-whitewebless2.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » October 8th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Bucky Warren Inc. was a small sporting goods retailer on Pearl St. in downtown Boston. They started business in 1953 and still may be there.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » October 9th, 2014, 12:51 pm

I recently picked up this interesting Nokona "Roy Face" model DH. I think it is from early to mid 1960's. I had this model when I first started collecting in the 1990's and was one of the modern era gloves I came to regret selling about 10 years ago. Luckily this one is in far better condition than the one I let go. It has a lot of whistles and bells. I like the updated "Ristankor" and "Fingerlok" that Nokona developed in the 1950's. I was used to the feel of the single break "L" heel and putting two in the pinky. The glove is plenty big for that and the solid web alone is 6" tall and can easily conceal two hardballs. It seems more of a pitchers model, may be why it was endorsed by Roy Face. Funny tidbit about Face, his best season was in 1959 for the Pirates. He was 18-1 as a reliever pitching about two innings a game with as ERA of 2.70. That was an All-Star season for him.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » October 10th, 2014, 12:40 pm

A circa 1949 MacGregor Goldsmith "Ralph Kiner" model RL glove. It has the interesting "Snare" webbing and "No-Rip Thumb". i have been looking for a nice model to go with my "Snare" base mitts.

mikesglove

Postby ebbets55 » October 10th, 2014, 7:31 pm

I love that model. Was totally watching it but didn't need another. It was sure hard to pass up though.

JD
ebbets55

Postby mikesglove » October 11th, 2014, 3:22 pm

It's easy to want to collect a lot of the MacG's. Certain brands would hit the sweet spot for only a short period of time, certainly true for the MacG's in the late 40's to early 50's. Here is another example. It's a big bruiser of a catchers mitt, the "Ernest Lombardi" model ML. This one is probably a tad earlier than the Bill Dickey model. I really like the rolled lace at the top of the webbing on both mitts, simple looking but actually pretty intricate. The web lacing was woven through several grommets to reduce stress points. The choice of strengthening the top lacing with a roll was clever and a very clean design. The mitt has hefty leather and a super pre-formed pocket.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » October 12th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Another catchers mitt, this one much older, around TOC. Original buckle web strap, buckle and D-rings. An 1895 patent date related to the web in the oval stamp on the front. There is an riveted connection between the thumb and body of the mitt below the webbing.

mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » October 13th, 2014, 1:04 pm

That patent marking is very similar to the patent stamping on the Wm Read and Sons mitt with the extended wrist protector. Wonder if yours is a Read??
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » October 27th, 2014, 2:09 pm

There is no maker evident on the mitt above. I have seen the patent oval on a few different brands besides Wm. Read, such as early Victor and Tryon mitts.
mikesglove

Postby theglovester » November 19th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Hey Guys!! Made some neat pick ups and Pretty Sharon will wrap them up and I have to wait til Christmas to see them!!! Kinda makes me feel 12 years old again. Snagged an A2400 Campanella mitt ($35) that looks awesome, just doesn't have a lace left in it, looks as though they dry rotted but the mitt has never been broken in. Will look neat sitting beside my early A2000 fielders glove. And A GCR Roberts Spider web, that will close out the spider web collection unless??? comes along. Thanks to JD on helping me get my first Winchester glove, it ended a month back, it had a sewn web and a good patch amd rolled piping but busted thumb seams. I can SAVE IT, and bond with it at the same time.

Finished up the year reenacting and the North won again at the 150th battle of Franklin TN... We are going to Appomattox in the spring, so if I wear blue there I am not surrendering..Right??? LOL!

An early Thanksgiving wish to all, Hope it is safe,warm,with family and friends and too much turkey!!

PS--Looking for the Rawlings PM Pepper Martin...will have to probably make payment plans but I'm Game!!!!

May be in the market for a new Babe Ruth Glove, I have one but I should upgrade, anyone have one that has some minor issues that is available?? looking in the 2-350 range for me after I liquidate some non keepers in the collection.
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures