Recent finds and pickups

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Recent finds and pickups

Postby ScottWNJ » November 28th, 2011, 3:08 am

I've been pretty quiet for a while so I figured it's time to post some recent acquisitions. First up is a Pinedo catchers mitt. It is marked (in Spanish) "Made in Mexico for Leo Schloss- Baltimore". Couldn't find anything on Schloss, but I'm guessing it was a retail store.
Next is a really nice Hutch Ival Goody Goodman. Found this one in PA. Big glove with nice patch. Needs a little cleaning.
From Ebay, I won this Poll Parrot Shoes glove.
The next two I found in Florida. Wilson Ted Williams Ball Hawk in great shape, and a Wilson Billy Loes glove.
That's it for now. Thanks for looking.
Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Recent finds and pickups

Postby Kenny Wel » November 28th, 2011, 12:26 pm

I love the figure 8 web on the glove above!

Kenn
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » December 11th, 2011, 7:05 pm

I picked up this 2-finger Wilson glove recently. The front was under such a black grungy layer of dirt and grime that I couldn't see most of the markings, just the A2020 at the heel. I used a waterless hand cleaner with pumice and It did wonders in cleaning the grime off the glove although it probably wouldn't be good on a fragile leather. I followed the cleaner with some saddle soap and Vaseline. The hand cleaner I used was Go-Jo brand from my local hardware store. They also make a version with no pumice.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » December 11th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Nice clean up, Mike. Looks like one sturdy glove!
okdoak

Postby BretMan » December 12th, 2011, 1:19 am

Fast Orange waterless hand cleaner has long been my "go to" stuff for removing that black grungy dirt and grime. It's pretty much the same thing as Go-Jo. I do prefer the non-pumice versions as they are less abrasive (maybe not an issue if the leather is in good shape) and seem a little easier to remove if you're cleaning over a lot of little nooks and crannies. The citrus smell isn't too bad, either. Fast Orange also contains lanolin (not sure about Go-Jo). Leather likes lanolin!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Re: Beto Avila

Postby softball66 » December 12th, 2011, 1:09 pm

About a month ago on eBay a "Beto" Avila , made in Mexico glove turned up. Avila from Mexico of course, used that "Beto" name there instead of the Americanized version of his name "Bobby", the
Cleveland 2nd baseman.
I turned up a glove made in the Panama Republic about two years ago. Local buy.
softball66

Postby mikesglove » June 9th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Some recent 1950's glove finds:
Dubow "Carl Furillo" model 747B. The rolled leather piping is a good 1/4" in diameter. Pretty unique looking especially with the black and white contrast. Love the cloth patch and button too.
2a.JPG
1a.JPG

J.C.Higgins "Bob Feller" model 1638. Pretty common glove. I have owned a couple Higgins brand of that era and the leather is super nice.
3a.JPG
4a.JPG

I found this Wilson "Billy Martin" model 2190 Ball Hawk glove at an antique mall pretty much as you see it. Not really familiar with the color scheme of the cloth patch. It's really different from other Wilson patches I have seen from that era. Maybe someone knows what that is about?
7aa.JPG
5a.JPG
mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » June 10th, 2012, 7:10 am

I know they only used those tags for one year but I can't remember if it was 1953 or 1954. I've seen them on a few models but most common has been Ted Williams
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » June 19th, 2012, 4:32 am

1920's white leather Grinnell 1" web glove made by Morrison-Ricker Mfg. of Grinnell Iowa. it was a good find in super as-is condition.
mrc.JPG

mr3.jpg

mr2v.JPG

mr1c.JPG
mikesglove

Postby deebro041 » June 19th, 2012, 8:28 am

Beautiful looking glove Mike!!
Dan
deebro041

Postby briggs86 » June 19th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Mike,

I wanted that GRINNELL bad, with the starting bid of $80 who knew where it'd go, think you got a steal of a deal. Beautiful looking mitt, the pics on ebay didn't do it any justice.
briggs86
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » June 19th, 2012, 7:12 pm

grinnela.JPG
The ebay pics were taken at an angle and foreshortened the glove making it look like a stubby youth model. It is actually long fingered and almost 10" tall. The ebay pics coupled with the high starting bid kept some away. I got lucky. The Grinnell name was on my radar because of the posting of the Worth brand gloves starting up in Grinnell, Iowa. I thought that was an interesting connection.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » June 22nd, 2012, 6:04 pm

Some recent pick ups from the 1940's.

A Goldsmith "Pete Reiser" model JCL
b.JPG
a.JPG
reiser1a.JPG

A Wilson "Elbert Fletcher" base mitt
d.JPG
c.JPG
12aa.jpg
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » June 22nd, 2012, 6:24 pm

A white leather "Bob Doerr" model glove with the laced back. Possibly a Globe brand. No manufacturers stamp present.
g.JPG
h.JPG

Bill Hatch "Frank Crosetti" model with a pretty cool web. The stamping on the thumb is from the OK brand, "Original curve to fit the hand glove" I tried to locate the patent for the "T" web but no luck. it was around 1940-41. Several brands used it. Reach mitts used it prominently. There is also the Marathon "Carl Hubbel" model. Maybe someone else knows?
j.JPG
hatch3a.jpg
i.JPG
mikesglove

Postby softball66 » June 23rd, 2012, 11:03 am

Mike makes a good point on the" T" Web. Gloves were entering an interesting time period in the late 1930s, early '40s.
1. the Roman I or I (capital I eye) web
2. Tripple Tunnels
3. Tripple or Double Tunnells with white bandage tape
4. Net webs like the Greenberg first base mitt contraption, also used on gloves as cross hatch webs
5. The T Web Mike discusses

The tape over the tunnels would lead to the full or "Barrel" web created sometime in the early 1940s.
:!:
softball66

Next

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures