The Finest in the Field

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Re: The Finest in the Field

Postby mikesglove » June 8th, 2014, 6:49 pm

My Doak glove was about the same price as the Glovester's. It's been a long time since I have had a nice double patch model so the finger lacing didn't bother me. The "Deep Well Model" "Improved Doak" glove appeared in 1941. The black cloud patch was used through most of the '40's and the steel button instead of brass may indicate a wartime mfg. date.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby swalt1234 » June 19th, 2014, 10:19 pm

Hey Don ole buddy, I still got the rolled web Rawlings glove you laced for me! Now tell me, exactly which Pepper Martin are you looking for?
Mark Walters
swalt1234
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » June 19th, 2014, 11:34 pm

Hey Mark, It is the elusive PM model, has a laced pinky ring finger, Pepper Martin Deluxe is on the palm/pinky heel. Not the 400V model. could have had one of those, but not what I was wanting...seem to be as rare as hens teeth???

Glad to hear from you, hope all is well, Redid my Dimaggio OK model the other day, with a rolled web of course, really adds to the glove and makes it Drokesterized :lol: Still got a bunch of the gloves I got from you way back in the day, MM, XPG6, RR, KK, Still got em and cherish them, Kinda going Goldsmith a little, spiderwebs, need a few more but the G105 mays spider is my trophy so far...

Hey Guys, reached a milestone moment yesterday, my boy stacked hay as I leisurely drove the tractor!! bout time, 16 years in the making and the hay didn't fall off the wagon!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » July 8th, 2014, 4:37 am

A recent and lucky find. A circa 1955 Rawlings "Harvey Haddix" model HH "The Kitten". I have seen a lot of this model at auction just beat to hell. It was Rawling's most expensive glove back in the day and meant to be played with. I first saw a beater version in an antique shop many years ago and liked it a lot except for the condition. I didn't know if I would ever find one in reasonable shape. This one is pretty nice. It's a big 'Ol glove, definitely an outfielders model. I can see why Mays and Mantle gravitated to the HH early in their careers. Joe did an interesting analysis of the MC/HH/HSP models http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2285 An interesting little tidbit. Haddix was nicknamed "The Kitten" during his rookie campaign at St. Louis for his resemblance to another lefty, Cardinal pitcher Harry "The Cat" Brecheen. Harry was quick as a cat at pouncing on bunts. Pretty funny stuff.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » November 19th, 2014, 3:24 pm

What a difference a year makes!. A circa 1959 chocolate brown model DS on the left and a spectacular golden brown 1958 anniversary issue on the right.

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » January 28th, 2016, 1:41 pm

A mid to late 20's "Joe Hauser" model baseman's mitt. A top of the line model in its day, mainly because of the latina patented thumb and finger loops.

mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » January 28th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Very nice Mike - love the snaps on the back . There is similar model in an upcoming Hertiage auction
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » January 28th, 2016, 8:46 pm

The Rawlings mitt above is not mine though I wish it was. I really like Rawlings equipment. I saw the Heritage Joe Judge gamer a few days ago and the design looked interesting.
hauser.jpg
mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » January 29th, 2016, 9:36 am

You don't see the snaps too often on a 1B mitt. I have a Brine one (possible Rawlings made it since I've seen other Rawlings models with James Brine labels) but other than these Rawlings, not sure I've seen others.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » November 9th, 2023, 2:09 pm

Early Rawlings gloves are rare. Below are a super pair of catching and throwing gloves.

Rawlings fingerless gloves below.

A couple of ads from the 1890 John Wilkinson trade catalog.
mikesglove

Previous

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures