Ken Wel gloves

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Re: Ken Wel gloves

Postby stockbuddy » November 13th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Those are some super Ken-Wel gloves. Love the white full web and the white Spider web (a favorite of mine which combines white leather, tan welting and funky cool spider web. VERY NICE :shock:

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » November 13th, 2011, 4:01 pm

I owned a circa 1938 "Dazzy Vance" model 533 "Super Special" at one time. This model 536 "Super Special" is really head and shoulders above mine and the other "Super Special" models I have seen. This one has the "Snare" web, unique to the other "Super Special" models but this particular glove has both cloth patches, the thumb seam protector and the patented diverted finger seams on the back. It is more of a high end version of the model 533 and in beautiful condition.

mikesglove

Postby stockbuddy » November 13th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Mike,

That Ken-Wel Model 533 glove appeared in both my first book "A Fielder's Dream Glove Collection" and my 2nd book "A Visual History of Ball Gloves". Mr. Mucha was kind enough to lend me the photo of his his glove for both books. Now if I can just convince him to let me have the glove. :lol:

I know Rob and I am sure that glove is going nowhere. What goes to California stays in California. LOL

It is a beauty to say the least and very unique.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby stockbuddy » November 13th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Mike.
I made a typo on my last email to you. I believe it should read a Super Special Model 538.Cool glove!
Dave
stockbuddy

Postby okdoak » November 13th, 2011, 10:43 pm

The seam patterns on the backs of those early models are terrific looking as is the Super Special. Surprised that nobody has posted a Vance buckle back yet. I would if I had one. :) Here are two later ones.

okdoak

Postby mikesglove » November 14th, 2011, 1:42 am

I picked up this KenWel glove on ebay 10+ years ago and it was a mess, no liner or wrist strap, basically gutted. I was so into KenWel at the time that I still knew this was KenWel's first patented version of the laced finger model, shown by the little leather ears on the backs of the fingers. I sent it to the "Glove Doc" for restoration and it was my most prized KenWel. It is long gone from my collection now but it was a real find for me at the time, and to the best of my knowledge, still the only known version. The only other identifier on the glove besides the diverted finger seams is the KenWel logo button.
mikesglove

Postby stockbuddy » November 14th, 2011, 9:08 am

Mike, Outstanding glove and a very cool find. Love it.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby Rickybulldog » November 14th, 2011, 10:01 am

Great stuff!

I like the Terry Moore tie back and the one you fixed up Mike.
Rickybulldog

Postby Kenny Wel » November 14th, 2011, 5:48 pm

We were talking earlier this year how the advertisements for the Dazzy Vance gloves did not match the actual Vance gloves, because the seams on the back of the fingers are different (are they called gussetts?). The Vance pictured above matches the ad pitcher. Very cool.

Ken (still drooling, by the way)
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby bing » November 15th, 2011, 2:14 am

Fantastic gloves guys! post some more
bing
bing
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » November 15th, 2011, 10:59 pm

Real nice 3 finger. How did this turn out?
ken.jpg
Rickybulldog

Postby okdoak » November 17th, 2011, 3:03 am

Looks great Ricky! I think that's the first Ken-Wel 3 finger I've ever seen. Very cool. Mike's early Dazzy Vance is too. Really unique. 8) Probably won't be seeing either one on ebay any time soon.
okdoak

Postby GloveCrazy » November 17th, 2011, 1:31 pm

stockbuddy wrote:I know Rob and I am sure that glove is going nowhere. (regarding the super special Vance)

Very factual. I love it. The end.

stockbuddy wrote:What goes to California stays in California. LOL

More of a myth, as the guy who got like 22 gloves from me should be able to attest. Not a total myth, though, as there are some that I have my fingers very tightly clenched (a la Charlton Heston cold-dead-fingers quote).
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby stockbuddy » November 17th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Rob,Yeh I did say that "What goes to CA stays in CA" as a joke line. LOL Actually what goes to CA might leave CA as you are a trading machine!!!! Actually a bunch of gloves from CA landed in two boxes here in Illinois on my front porch many years ago. :)

Rob, you know the one of many Ken-Wel gloves I like rests with you. It is that orange one with black tunnel webs. Very cool! I know that one and the Super pitcher will need to be tugged from your hands AD. :o

Actually you should just keep those as you enjoy them too much, not that I couldn't grow to enjoy them more too.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby mikesglove » November 22nd, 2011, 9:33 pm

Rickybulldog wrote:I don't mind seeing that one again. That's a beaut! The name is really not an eyesore, tastefully done in my opinion. Really like the white leather, orange welting, and tan piping. The black stampings just pop on this glove. I also like the stamping in the inner liner. Thanks for posting.

mikesglove

PreviousNext

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures