A dirty Doak

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

A dirty Doak

Postby Bill247 » November 8th, 2011, 4:46 pm

This 5BD cleaned up nicely. Nice patch and button. What is the significance ot the additional Doak patch I see on some models? ThanksImageImageImageImage
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: A dirty Doak

Postby stockbuddy » November 9th, 2011, 12:25 am

Hi Bill,

Great job cleaning up the old H web Doak. Looks very nice.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: A dirty Doak

Postby GloveCrazy » November 9th, 2011, 7:59 pm

I agree it's a major upgrade ... great job! That's truly a labor of love to clean one with that much caked on dirt.

I know your fingers probably hurt, but I suspect that another round will yield additional benefits, especially on the piping. Load up a lot of saddle soap on a rag -- or whatever cleaner you are using -- and work it into the piping. You need to have a lot on the rag, though, and be careful around any cracked areas. On gloves that I've cleaned that initially had that caked on dirt, I also eventually needed to apply a moisturizer afterward, as the dirt pulls the moisture out of the leather and saddle soap (or other cleaners) don't quite fully replenish. I've used vaseline after these types of cleanings with really good results, but some collectors prefer other moisturizers over vaseline.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures