Help with my first buckle back

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Help with my first buckle back

Postby Bill247 » September 18th, 2011, 3:16 pm

I can't make out the maker in the enclosed pic. Patent # is clear. Made in USA is in the circle around the makers mark. It doesn't show in the picture but to the right of the stamping I can see part of an endorsement that looks like Ricky/Pinky/Bill- Williams/Williamson/Wilson in script?? The label on the back is missing. Postage stamp size with red stiching. The glove is wicked dirty but has begun to clean up nicely. Thanks for any help. [*] Image [*]
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Help with my first buckle back

Postby ebbets55 » September 18th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Could it be Pinky Whitney? He was a Spalding endorser and the style matches up to the right period.

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Bill247 » September 18th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Thank you! What was it that pointed you to a Spalding glove? I researched Whitney and found several aoutgraphs that look like what I can make out on the glove. With no visible model number, should I just pick the midpoint of his career to guestimate the age? Thanks again.
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » September 18th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Bill247 wrote:What was it that pointed you to a Spalding glove?

I guess that once you've seen enough old gloves, their logos just jump out at you. The instant I saw your first picture I said, "That's a Spalding logo". Combine that with the fact that Spalding used a small red square cloth label on their gloves, and that there are probably only two guys named "Pinky" whose endorsements appear on gloves (the other being "Pinky Higgins") and it kind of narrows it down!

(Not to say that I have any special powers of deduction when it comes to identifying old gloves. I think that most of the guys here who have seen and handled tons of gloves would quickly come to the same conclusion.)

According to the excellent glove collecting reference, "The Vintage Baseball Glove Catalog Source Book", Spalding issued Whitney-endorsed gloves from 1933 to 1939. The earlier models (1933-1937) bore the model number "PW" and the later ones (1938-1939) were model number "222".
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby ebbets55 » September 18th, 2011, 10:12 pm

The logo in the palm says Spalding and the missing red tag along with the placement points to Spalding - 100% Spalding. You just made me pull out Joe's Catalog Source Book. Thought I had it memorized. It lists Pinkey Whitney from '33-'39. Then it lists Pinky Higgins.

I say Pinkey Whitney in the mid to late 30's. What do you others think?

JD

http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/g ... ve.jpg.php

http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/g ... ve.jpg.php
ebbets55

Postby ebbets55 » September 18th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Geez Bret, our replies must have just crossed. Great minds think alike. :D

JD
ebbets55

Postby Bill247 » September 18th, 2011, 10:31 pm

Thank, y'all. I think I found the glove on the Glove Collector catalog page. Spalding 1937 @ $5.50. Interestingly, there was a Babe Ruth glove on the same page @ $4.00. Go figga. Any opinions on the glove? The Phillips Guide lists it as Very Rare.
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 19th, 2011, 2:06 am

The patent no. on your glove, 881,315 is the diverted seam patent of Mar. 10, 1908. It was stamped on a lot of Reach/Spalding gloves. Follow the finger seams on the back of the glove and see how they veer away from the crotch between the fingers. This was a landmark patent that put Reach/Spalding gloves at the forefront of glove design for a while.
mikesglove

Postby Bill247 » September 26th, 2011, 12:03 am

Thanks Mikesgloves et.al. Pinky is cleaning up nicely. In y'all's opinion, is he worthy of a photo on the glove collectors website? Thanks
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » September 26th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Was that question to me? If so, absolutely! Send me front and back pics of anything you want posted on the Baseball Glove Collector Webiste - all of you.

JD
ebbets55@aol.com
ebbets55

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures