Bouckville finds

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Bouckville finds

Postby Kenny Wel » August 20th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Today I walked the fields at the Bouckville, NY antique fair. Spent several hot hours there, and only saw a portion of all the vendors, but we did find a couple of interesing things:

White Ken-Wel softball glove. Dazzy Vance style web with cresent pads. In really nice shape. I'm interested to see how it cleans up.

1912 post card my wife picked out. Pretty riske for the time. Was one of a series.

NIce counter for hits, runs, and errors. Advertising item for Sen Sen Gum. Counter still works nicely.

Overall, a very good day!
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Bouckville finds

Postby Number9 » August 20th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Sounds like a good day and you got some nice stuff to bring home. I like the counter. Those are cool. How was the show, overall? I've wanted to go for the last few summers but there always seems to be a conflict on my schedule that ends up winning out.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Kenny Wel » August 21st, 2011, 7:06 am

William, the show was good. The main field was "under new management" this year, so we didn't know what to expect as there almost wasn't a show. We walked the smaller fields along Route 20 like we usually do. We thought that there were fewer vendors this year, and with the threat of rain all day Sunday, several vendors were packing up already Saturday afternoon. But the two vendors I was hoping to see, and they made my day.

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » August 22nd, 2011, 7:35 pm

Hi Ken,

Great finds. Of course I like the cool softball glove you picked up and seem to be one of the guys who really enjoys the old softies :) . Your glove is a nice one that you seldom see.

Ken-Wel did a really nice job with several of the old timer softball gloves and this one looks to be Ken-Wel G-1 model.

In my glove book I made a comparison of certain vintage softball gloves to certain baseball gloves and this softie you found was one of the gloves that got compared to a Dazzy Vance glove made by Ken-Wel. From the back side you would think it was the same glove except the softie has the white leather. If that were to be a white leather Dazzy Vance glove endorsed as a baseball glove, I would venture to say it would be one of the most sought after pieces in the hobby. My "Dazzy" style has a black piping and it looks like yours is more of a tan color piping.

Be careful not to overclean the old gloves as they deserve the patina they have on them from over the years.

Thanks for sharing pics and glad you had some luck on your hunt.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby Kenny Wel » August 23rd, 2011, 7:30 am

Dave,
Thanks for the post and comments on my new glove.

How much cleaning is too much cleaning? When does one know to stop if the grime keeps coming off? I would appreciate any advice.

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » August 23rd, 2011, 12:38 pm

Ken,

That is a tough question as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know some who don't want to do anything to the old gloves in the way of cleaning as they view it as possibly devaluing the glove and changing its original state it was first found. On the other hand, I don't care to have a dirty old glove sittin on the shelf in my collection.

From the looks of your glove, it looks to have some dirt and some patina. I kind of like a moderation in the cleaning and perhaps clean up a little on the finger tips and leave a bit of grime look in the palm where you know the ball likely was caught often.

Let me see if I can retrieve my softie pic from JD's website.
Below is the link. If you click a few times on his website you will see a few of my Ken-wel softies. JD's website does not have all of my gloves that I have in my collection but he does have several.

The best example of this particular G-1 glove is from a collector on our thread, John Jeneli, I believe. His glove is stone cold mint and is a beauty. I have owned two of these gloves and kept my nicer one and traded/sold my other one a few years back. The one I sold is next to the one I currently have in my collection.

Ken, I wish I could address your question more effectively. Perhaps some of the other collectors will offer you some insigts and opinions. Usually if you clean too much you just get that feeling that you may have overdone. LOL Go on the conservative side I suppose and take it real slow. On a white glove, I am reluctant to even use to much cleaning agent. The dry magic eraser ( which you can buy at wal-mart etc.) will often take off some of that dirt look but if you are not careful you may erase some of the leather itself, so go very slow. William or Mike may be our best leather guys on the forum so they may have an opinion and advice too.

Ultimately, it is your glove and so you need to clean it until you are comfortable putting it on your shelf for display.
Hope this helps a little.
Dave
stockbuddy

Postby stockbuddy » August 23rd, 2011, 12:42 pm

Ken,

Forgot the link which is now below. LOL
Dave
http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/g ... ve.jpg.php
stockbuddy

Postby stockbuddy » August 23rd, 2011, 12:45 pm

Ken,

Here is the back of the glove.

http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/g ... ve.jpg.php

If you go to JD's website search under Ken-Wel and it will let you check out the other cool Ken-Wel gloves.

Dave
stockbuddy

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures