Library Display

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Library Display

Postby rdb34 » August 6th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Just wanted to share with everyone the pics of the display I put up in my local library. My collection consists almost entirely of Spalding equipment and I try to keep it pre 1930.
I've had a lot of fun trading and selling with a bunch of forum members putting this all together. Still not completely sure why I chose Spalding to collect?

When I signed up to display my glove collection at the library, I could see the librarian kind of wince when I told her what I was planning. When she saw them she was a little surprised.
It was a lot of fun setting up the display with my wife. A few people commented how neat they were and I realized most people haven't ever seen gloves like this before.
I'm eager to get feedback from the people who see it.

I put little description cards in front of most of the items and tried to give an approximate date. Some of the gloves model #'s were used a while so
narrowed it down by the webs and patches. I did the same with the patches on the rest of the equipment.

It's up for the rest of August. Not sure how much sleep I'll be getting in the next month, but maybe I can attract a few more people to the hobby.

Let me know what you think,
Richie B
Attachments
IMG_8573.JPG
IMG_8574.JPG
IMG_8575.JPG
IMG_8579.JPG
IMG_8580.JPG
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Library Display

Postby rdb34 » August 7th, 2011, 12:11 am

A few more pics
Attachments
IMG_8587.JPG
IMG_8586.JPG
IMG_8581.JPG
IMG_8582.JPG
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » August 7th, 2011, 12:13 am

Richie,

Nice job with the dispays. Some great old gloves and equipment too.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » August 7th, 2011, 1:18 am

I did a small display in a glass counter top cabinet in my local library a number of years ago. It was fun and I had the same reaction as you at first by the library staff. Your display is way beyond what I did and close to museum quality. There are some pretty sweet gloves and mitts there.
mikesglove

Postby cubsrno1 » August 7th, 2011, 10:01 am

That's a very nice display Richie. I'm sure that people who see you display will be facinated with all that equipment.
I agree that you probably won't get a lot of sleep while your display is up. Especially if you are sleeping at the library watching over your gloves :D :D
cubsrno1
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » August 7th, 2011, 3:35 pm

That is a fantastic display with fantastic gloves to match! A Spalding Giant and King Patent have been on my wish list for quite awhile. Great looking boxes and bats, too.
okdoak

Postby Kenny Wel » August 7th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Wow, Richie. That is so cool! It really looks nice. As mentioned above, it looks like it is a museum quality display. Where does one go to see it in case forum members are in your area?

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » August 7th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Really nice display. Sweet Wagon Tongue;-)
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby rdb34 » August 7th, 2011, 10:17 pm

Thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate it.

It's kind of hard to look in the display cabinet at home and see nothing inside. On the other hand, it's neat to see it all spread out. My display space at home is kind of limited.

Joel when I brought the sleeping bag and cot they turned me around and sent me home. I just got home from sitting in the library parking lot :-)

William, thanks again for the Wagon Tongue. That was my favorite pick up at the show. Hope you, Brett, and Travis get home safe. Maybe the load won't be as heavy and you guys can shave a hour or two off the return trip:-)

Anyone out there have a Spalding Axle Tree, a set of early Spalding shin guards, or an earlier example of a Spalding chest protector? Those were the three non glove items I was trying to find with no luck. The list of gloves I would like to add is too long. Mikesgloves I would love to see some pics of the BB1 you wrote about in another post.

Thanks again,
Richie
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby chippalini » August 8th, 2011, 12:03 am

What is the story with the military jersey? It looks really cool.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » August 8th, 2011, 12:37 am

rdb34 wrote: Mikesgloves I would love to see some pics of the BB1 you wrote about in another post.
Here it is. I am like Rob in that the inner lining has to be good or it won't stay long in my collection. This BB1 is close to perfect in that respect, almost like new. I think the thin/medium wide flat lacing around the wrist opening is original. Most of the laced versions on JD's site just look wrong after seeing mine. The flat lacing is the most comfortable on the hand. The "World Series Model" stamp on the front has taken the most wear as you can see.
spalBB1xa.jpg
spalBB1a.jpg
mikesglove

Postby rdb34 » August 9th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Mike,

That's a very nice glove. If it ever becomes available you can add me to the list.

chippalini wrote:What is the story with the military jersey? It looks really cool.

When I recieved this uniform in a trade I didn't know what to make of the lettering. When I showed it to my father in law who's really into war and history he rattled off Machine gun company 345 infantry.
It was pretty neat he knew exactly what it meant. I think it fits in the 1914-late 20's time frame because of the tag. Other that that, I have the slightest idea.

Richie
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » August 10th, 2011, 1:31 am

rdb34 wrote:Mike,

That's a very nice glove. If it ever becomes available you can add me to the list.
Richie

I am looking for a mitt like this one pictured on JD's site
Buckle Web Hook and Eye Back Catchers Mitt Front.JPG
Buckle Web Hook and Eye Back Catchers Mitt Back.JPG
mikesglove

Postby rdb34 » August 18th, 2011, 9:35 pm

My father in law brought over the local paper and they had a little write up and picture.
It's been a popular display and I'm glad I did it. I wish I could be there and field questions.
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » August 23rd, 2011, 11:08 pm

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/neighborhoodstar/chicagoheights/7102723-521/baseball-history-on-display-in-crete.html

Words getting out and they revealed your name. Looks like celebrity status now, Grizzly....get the glasses. 8) Nice display by the way!
Attachments
mysteryman.JPG
Rickybulldog

Next

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures