Talk About Finding a Glove...

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Talk About Finding a Glove...

Postby BretMan » June 10th, 2011, 12:01 am

Today I literally found a glove that somebody is sure to miss.

I get to my field for tonight's game and just a few of the guys are there. I noticed what looked to be a nice old Rawlings lying near the fence of our dugout and just figured it must have belonged to one of our guys. We play the whole game, everybody is packing up and leaving, and I notice that the glove is still lying there. Yelled to our guys, "Did anybody forget their glove?". Nope, it didn't belong to any of them.

I go over and pick up the glove. Part of it is covered in dried mud, like it had sat in a puddle. We haven't had any rain here since last weekend, so it must have been lying there awhile. The glove is full of grass clippings, so it must have been lying there when the field was mowed sometime in the last week.

Somebody is going to miss their Rawlings HOH XPG-6! I put an email in to our local Parks and Recreation department asking if anyone had reported a missing glove- no word back yet.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Talk About Finding a Glove...

Postby softball66 » June 10th, 2011, 7:46 am

I left it there Brett. Completely forgot about it. :twisted:
But that is a great, great story. And noble of you to contact the parks dept. All the games played I don't think that I've ever found a glove left behind. Did forget one of my bats once.
That's a quality and 40 or 50 year old glove to have been left behind.
Way to Go on all counts!
softball66

Re: Talk About Finding a Glove...

Postby BretMan » June 13th, 2011, 10:16 am

Well, it wasn't exactly an XPG6 Mantle...that would be a real find! Looks to be be a more recent model, like maybe one of the Don Mortons. But a nice Heart of the Hide glove, nevertheless!

Still no word from the Parks and Rec department on a rightful owner.

I found another glove this weekend, while umpiring in a fastpitch tournament. This was just a cheap little newer Rawlings, lying in the parking lot near my car. That one went straight to the "lost & found" at the park concession stand.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures