Yay! It's Outdoor Flea Market Season

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Yay! It's Outdoor Flea Market Season

Postby vintagebrett » March 20th, 2011, 10:39 am

The season started a little early here in New England but the nice, Sunny 26 degree weather couldn't keep me (and many others) away this morning. It was great to be back out hunting for treasures. Did find a nice Rawlings HOH Johnny Bench and an interesting golf club but that was the extent of the first foray into the outdoor markets. More opening in the next couple weeks and Brimfield is less than 2 months away!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: Yay! It's Outdoor Flea Market Season

Postby BretMan » March 20th, 2011, 11:46 am

Yes, it is that time of year! The unfortunate thing for me is that most weekends between now and fall I'm out on a ballfield somewhere umpiring baseball or softball tournaments. Tends to cut down on my flea market visits. But I hit as many as I can.

Next weekend (March 26-27) there's a big indoor show in Columbus, at the Ohio State Fairgrounds. The Scott's Antique Show usually pulls in several hundred dealers- and every once in a great while you might even find a couple of decent gloves! If you're into "antiques" in general, I would recommend a visit.

I haven't posted any finds here for awhile, but have picked up a small handful of gloves at flea markets and antique shows during the past year. Maybe it's time to break out the digital camera and post a few...
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Kenny Wel » March 27th, 2011, 4:29 pm

While not an outdoor market, my wife and I finally made it to a multi-vendor market that we had been eyeing. Only one Glove; a George Brett Wilson that was flat and stiff enough to drive nails with. But I did find a 1914 copy of Christy Mathewson's Pitcher Pollack, a 1920 Zane Gray The Readheaded Outfield and Other Baseball Stories, and a copy of a '30's era photo of a Westmoreland, NY baseball team. So no mitts today, but not a complete loss.

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » March 28th, 2011, 12:04 am

Went to an outdoor antique festival in Florida yesterday. Picked up a nice MacGregor G22 Richie Ashburn glove for $10. No ink and needs one lace replaced. It was all downhill after that. Found a nice Wilson 635 with triple tunnel web. Price tag said it was a Don Johnson model, but the signature looked like something else. At $90, I passed. Lots of bats but all priced at or near $100 each. At least I got the Ashburn and didn't come home empty-handed. Hopefully next week will bring better luck.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby rdb34 » April 2nd, 2011, 10:59 pm

Made my first trip up to the Kane County flea market today. My day ended up being a lot like ScottWNJ's. I found a really nice Richie Ashburn GB23 with the Spider Web design and reverse wrist strap.
I also bought a Tom Seaver XFCB17 Rawlings Wingtip that needs a little work. After that it was all downhill. The gloves were either too far gone or too expensive (sometimes both). Mostly imports and kids gloves. It felt good to get out and I look forward to more glove hunts this summer.

Both gloves are available for sell/trade. PM if interested and I can give details and more pics.
Attachments
IMG_7830.JPG
IMG_7844.JPG
IMG_7837.JPG
IMG_7845.JPG
IMG_7828.JPG
IMG_7827.JPG
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mushroomknob » April 4th, 2011, 5:55 pm

finally some decent weather for the outdoor markets.Not many dealers but a couple of gloves.

found a really soft diamond brand fielders glove.The leather is very soft and feels great on the hand.

second glove correct hand Warren Spahn D&M great gold markings soft inside and out,only flaw writing on the back.

mushroomknob
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » April 5th, 2011, 12:13 am

Hey rdb34, your day was a lot like mine. In addition to the Ashburn, I also picked up a Tom Seaver XFCB17 wingtip on this trip. Well used and needs the lacing in the palm replaced. Since we seem to be on the same wavelength, I wonder what we'll find next! :lol:

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby hal barth » April 6th, 2011, 4:50 pm

I just returned from a 2 week trip into the heart of Texas. At a large outdoor market I found a vintage Alex Taylor glove with the name Jackson stamped on the heel area. My dilemma is : is it Joe or Travis? I can not make out the first name, however the middle initial seems to be the letter "C". This would make it a Travis Jackson model. In my research I notice that both Jacksons have similar signatures. Does anyone out there have the same Taylor glove with a clear first name? Thanks, Hal
mymancampy
hal barth
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 6th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Definitely Travis - I've seen multiple Alex Taylor Travis Jackson endorsed gloves - there are a couple pictured on JD's site.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby hal barth » April 6th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Thanks Brett, my resource books did not show this model.On my trip I also picked up an ordinary block letter Pete Reiser, no maker and an excellent M.R. Campbell "League" bat. A
mymancampy
hal barth
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 12th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Picked up a 1911 D&M catalog today - it has a three finger full web model - says it's a new product. Is this the appearance of the first three finger model??
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » May 8th, 2011, 9:09 am

Found a nice Ken-Wel 532W sewn web today.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby murphusa » May 8th, 2011, 1:12 pm

1920's Rawlings Catchers glove box (no glove) 5 1961 picture packs and a Big Six Christy Mathewson game
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby murphusa » May 19th, 2011, 4:58 pm

I am at a music convention for the next few days and at lunch today went down the block to a pawn shop and found 3 1st basemen's glove. A geo reach mint T33 Trapper Model, a excellent 30's Ken wel model 617 Jim Oglesby and a Excellent Tryon Professional 1st basemans with a great patch

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby vintagebrett » May 21st, 2011, 4:07 pm

Nice finds! I like the Tryon patch.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Next