James Brine/D&M connection?

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

James Brine/D&M connection?

Postby okdoak » March 5th, 2011, 8:49 pm

I picked this glove up many moons ago. It has a very faded James Brine label and faint W. Berger stamping (the smallest stamped signature I've ever seen). The source book lists a G43 W. Berger D&M model from 1932-37 and describes it as a no rip thumb in 1936. Does anyone have a catalog page that shows it? JD's website has similar styled D&M bucklebacks, but none with the no rip thumb. Looking thru the Brine catalogs, I noticed that they carried versions of Dazzy Vance and Bill Doak gloves under their label and wonder if they did the same with this one. Any info, guys?

okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: James Brine/D&M connection?

Postby Number9 » March 6th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Highly likely, I'd say. I've got a few Brines from various eras and they are all similar to other companies offerings.

The Brine family still runs one of the family shops in Concord, MA. I've met one of the grandchildren (45-50 years old) and he had no knowledge of any manufacturing history in the business. They sold branded goods but they were made by other companies. I'm absolutely convinced that despite the fact that there are hundreds of brands out there, that there were only a handful of factories producing this stuff. Obviously, the big guys (Spalding/Reach, D&M, Ken-Wel, Rawlings, Stall & Dean, Wilson, Nocona, etc.) produced their own stuff. But, my feeling is that if there was a general sporting goods outlet of the same name, (excluding Spalding), it was made by someone else.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures