A find from germany

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

A find from germany

Postby Heelix » September 29th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Hi, Folks!

well, I have really no clue about vintage glove, I just like playing baseball (but with new gloves, truly). Anyway, I found this glove in an old box from my childhood. May you can help.
So, here are the pix. I can´t read either manufacturer or the embossings.
Does anyboday knows about this glove? What is the different between a valuably and a non-valuably glove, because it is old as far as I can judge.
Thanks for your help.
Heelix
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: A find from germany

Postby BretMan » September 29th, 2010, 6:27 pm

The maker is Hutch, a sporting goods company that operated out of Cincinnati, Ohio.

Judging by the style of the glove, it looks to be from around the 1940 era.

The stampings that say "SPECIAL SERVICES" and "US ARMY" indicate that this glove was made under contract for the United States government and likely supplied to US service personnel for recreational purposes.

The value of old gloves can hinge on many factors. Condition, age, rarity, unique design features and if the glove bears the stamped endorsement of a popular professional baseball player all enter into the equation. While being rather old, many gloves from this era survive today, so it is not especially rare. The glove does seem to be in nice condition. Apparently, this glove does not bear the stamped endorsement of a professional baseball player (most of the gloves made for use by US service personnel do not). Similar gloves can be found selling in the $30-$50 range.

Hope that helps!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: A find from germany

Postby Heelix » October 1st, 2010, 4:18 am

Wow, thanks for the quick and detailed reply.
If it has been in the property of the us army it may has been from the troops based in germany after WW II. It would also be conform with your estimation about the year.
I find it interessting because I never have any contact to american troops and my parents either. Well, I don´t know if I want to sell it but on the other hand I have no use for it.
Is there any leather care I can use to do the glove a good?
Heelix
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures