Looking for some info on glove

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Looking for some info on glove

Postby NastyNate » August 25th, 2010, 6:04 pm

I picked this up at a garage sale on my trip to P.A. Just looking for some insight on possible value, age, ways to "restore" and any other information.
Trusport is on the label
"Phila PA" seems to be at the bottom of the label
Walter "Biff" Berger on palm side

Overall rough shape.

Thanks for looking.

NastyNate
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Looking for some info on glove

Postby mikesglove » August 25th, 2010, 10:12 pm

I would just use some good unscented hand lotion and a smooth rag and work the lotion into the leather( I use Trader Joe's brand). It will help clean and restore the leather somewhat and make it presentable if you want to display it. Other than that, I would leave it as is. It's nice the cloth patch is still intact. TruSport is a private label brand. They may have been a retailer for a major glove manufacturer. The value is probably under $20. I would say mid 1930's to 1940 in age. Check out baseballglovecollector.com in their "Glove Gallery" section for more "TruSport" models

Below are pictures of your model glove made by "Denkert Sporting Goods" in Gloversville, N.Y. Denkert manufactured gloves for different retailers, such as your "TruSport" model as well as Denkert's own version. Note the similarities between this model and yours.
Mike
berger.jpg
bergera.jpg
note the cool rolled lace web replacing the factory tunnel web
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby NastyNate » August 26th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Mikesglove,

Thanks for the info. I think ill probably keep it seeing how its not worth any substantial amount of money but its great to look at. Ive been through some of the threads here and there are some amazing looking gloves. Is there any rule of thumb for buying vintage gloves? I have seen plenty but always hesitated due to the cost and my lack of knowledge. This I picked up for $2.00 so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Again, Thank you for the info.
NastyNate
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » August 27th, 2010, 12:02 am

$2.00 is a good price for that glove. There are certain rules of thumb:
1. find the best condition possible because most times they are not worth fixing.
2. details like the cloth patch I mentioned are good, leather piping or trim around the wrist opening is preferable to the cloth or canvas trim on your glove
3. A major manufacturer like Rawlings or Spalding are safe choices since they have name recognition.
4. Avoid imported gloves. Most 1940's and newer will state "made in U.S.A."
5. An endorsed glove like yours is good. A Popular Hall of Famer is the best endorser. i.e. Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, etc.
6. Be careful how much you spend until you become more knowledgeable. Prices of gloves vary according to the era that interests you. Contact Joe Phillips at (972)699-1808 or e-mail glovecollector@tx.rr.com and he will set you up with literature for discerning the quality stuff. Also check out baseballglovecollector.com in their "glove library" to download baseball glove catalogs that may interest you.

I purchased my first collectible glove in 1989, a Spalding "Roger Maris" model for 25 cents at a garage sale. It was in great shape and good quality, the only downside being it was made in Japan. I kept it for a few years and eventually sold it for $25. I frequented flea markets, "Play it again" sports stores and antique shops and shows at the beginning. I rarely paid over $20 for a glove for years.

good luck, Mike
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures