George A. Reach BBC Sam Chapman model

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

George A. Reach BBC Sam Chapman model

Postby Pina » August 18th, 2010, 1:04 am

Today I picked this guy up. The glove shows plenty of wear, the gentleman I got it from said it belonged to his brother who played in the minors. Do any of you guys have any information on this glove maker and what this glove may be worth? any idea of the year it was made or where I could find out? And what would be the best way to bring some luster back to it.

Thanks

Last edited by Pina on August 18th, 2010, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pina
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: George A. Reach BBC Sam Chapman model

Postby softball66 » August 18th, 2010, 6:59 am

We don't have a lot of information on the George A. Reach Company except that it was formed in the 1930s when George A. Reach, relative of the founder of the A. J. Reach company, left that firm to start his own company. This is obviously a mid-1930s glove and it could possible have been used by a minor league ballplayer if it's an adult glove and of quality construction. More information may be available on the G. A. Reach company on the internet.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Pina » August 18th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Thanks! It definitely looks like has been played with quite a bit. It's been in storage for god knows how long so its got a bit of a musty smell. I'm going to try the coffee in a plastic bag trick to try and take the smell away.
Pina
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » August 18th, 2010, 1:59 pm

The stampings and the leather still look really nice. Maybe just wipe it lightly (very, very lightly on those silver stampings or avoid them altogether) with a leather conditioner like Lexol or Fiebing's 4 Way Care. It sure doesn't look like it needs much cleaning. Nice glove!
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures