Nokona TST10 Tex Siz Trap

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Nokona TST10 Tex Siz Trap

Postby mas » August 12th, 2010, 4:32 pm

Earlier this year I picked up a glove lot from a guy off Craigslist.

Included in this lot was a Nokona TST10 Tex Siz Trap, endorsed by Jim Lemon.

I was told it was a top end Nokona back in the early 1960's. Can anyone tell me anything more about this glove? How about a value for a glove like this? I don't have a collection of Nokona gloves so I'm not sure what to do with this glove yet.

[img]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/mattspurgin/utf-8BSU1HMDA0NjkuanBn-1.jpg[/img]
[IMG]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/mattspurgin/utf-8BSU1HMDA0NzIuanBn-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/mattspurgin/utf-8BSU1HMDA0NzMuanBn-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/mattspurgin/utf-8BSU1HMDA0NzQuanBn-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/mattspurgin/utf-8BSU1HMDA0NzEuanBn-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/mattspurgin/utf-8BSU1HMDA0NzAuanBn-1.jpg[/IMG]
Attachments
Nokona TST10.jpg
mas
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Nokona TST10 Tex Siz Trap

Postby softball66 » August 12th, 2010, 6:46 pm

This is the "7" Finger glove. When Rawlings brought out its Trapeze 6 finger glove in 1957-'59 for retail, it sort of captured the market. A couple of years later, this model was Nocona's answer to that style of glove except altered a little with two "non insertable" fingers for the trap. It was moderately successful. the TST(Texas Size Trap) 10 was the top of the line in this category, selling for $32 in 1961.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 12th, 2010, 10:24 pm

I picked up a TST10 at a flea market last year for five bucks! It's a little rough- the piping is frayed in spots, the Nokona patch is gone, there is a tear up inside one finger stall and a small hole in the worn lining- but it is a cool glove, comfortable and fully functional. It's on the back burner for a total cleaning and relace (along with a dozen other gloves I have lying around here!).

Mine is an unendorsed model. The stampings look identical to yours, except it doesn't say "Pro Line" in the palm, it says it where the Jim Lemon signature appears on your glove.

Other differences:

- Mine has a metal button fastener on the wrist strap, as opposed to the adjustable fastener attached with a lace.

- Mine does not have the two "finger hoods/loops" and the associated laces on the back of the glove. It does have the "Ristankor" wrist strap.

- The thumb and pinky lace are different- just a single straight line strand of lace, instead of the more "modern" looped through back and forth "figure eight" style that's common today.

- The web lace is different! Instead of the three rows of "X's" yours has, mine only has that "X" lacing down the middle hinge. The hinge to the left and right are laced like a Rawlings Trap-Eze, with the whole intricate "netting" thing going on, connected to lacing that "spirals" along the edge of the extra fingers.

With the button fastener, I'm assuming that this is an earlier model. Joe's book doesn't have a 1960 Nokona catalog listed, so maybe this is a 1960 model.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby mikesglove » August 13th, 2010, 12:58 am

Nokona had some colorful names for their glove features: Ristankor, Tex-size-trap, and the "Finger-lok". Maybe the Finger-lok is what bretman is referring to
rface1.jpg
note the Oshman label. This is still the Nokona Roy Face model
mikesglove

Postby mas » August 13th, 2010, 10:09 am

Any idea what a glove like the TST10 is worth?

I don't have any other Nokona gloves in my collection, and I know I can't collect everything. I don't know whether I should keep this and start a collection of Nokona gloves, or if it is worth anyting to sell it to someone who collects Nokona, or if is just one of those older gloves that is not desired by collectors but a good glove to play with.
mas
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mas » August 13th, 2010, 11:44 am

BTW, I got one pic to upload as an attachment, but the links to the photobucket pics are not showing up as hyperlinked. There are 6 pictures on photobucket that show all different views of this glove. Overall it is in very nice shape. Lining is not cracked, piping seems to be good. I think the knot at the end of the palm lace is broken off, but all other laces are intact. Label is in good shape.
mas
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » August 13th, 2010, 5:59 pm

mas wrote:I don't know whether I should keep this and start a collection of Nokona gloves

That my friend is the ten million dollar question ... what to collect? There are several threads on what to collect -- in fact it is one of the main general themes -- but my suggestion is collect what you love, and trade the other stuff for stuff you love. We all like different things, except it seems for the G41 Ruth which we all seem to want (glove collector joke).

In this case, my advice is admittedly a little self-serving as I'm interested in trading for or purchasing your glove. I'm a Nokona collector and trapeze collector and for some reason still don't have a TT10. Drop me an email to glovecrazy@aol.com with a list of what you really like and we'll go from there. Others please pitch in value estimations ... it will probably help negotiations.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby BretMan » August 13th, 2010, 9:17 pm

mas,

If I was forced to put a value on this glove, there are a couple things I'd consider.

- Looking at it from the perspective of being a Jim Lemon endorsed glove, and assuming it grades out to "excellent" condition, Joe Phillip's price guide lists it at $50. Maybe that's just a little bit optimistic if you're trying to sell it outright, but that is a reasonable "book value" retail price. The supply of Lemon-endorsed gloves is big enough to satisfy any collector demand and these gloves can be easily found. They aren't exactly rare or scarce- and there isn't the same demand for Jim Lemon memorabilia that there is for, say, Mickey Mantle.

- On the other hand...Considering that Nokona gloves have an almost cult-like following and some hardcore collectors, plus with the unique web style, you might value this one a little bit higher. Those two considerations may tend to add a slight premium to the glove's value. Now that $50 book value sounds a little bit more reasonable.

Just one collector's humble opinion- would be interested to see what others have to say.

On your pictures...I've had that same problem before when posting pics. When you copy the URL from Photbucket, I think that it automatically throws in the "IMG" tags. Then, when you post on the forum using the "IMG" button, it throws in another set of "IMG" tags. If you go back and and edit your post, tinker with that and see if it helps. I did look at all your other pictures by copying the URL's and pasting them in my browser.

And, yes, the Finger-Lok is what I was refering to. My TST10 doesn't have it.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby mikesglove » August 13th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Here is perhaps the tex-size-trap brettman is referring to
DMossi7F1.JPG
mikesglove

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures