50's Glove - TruSport - Woodie Held

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

50's Glove - TruSport - Woodie Held

Postby smr1 » August 8th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Yesterday - I picked up this real sweet TruSport Woodie Held Glove. The glove is in outstanding condition. The leather is supple and alot of the silver is still present. My favorite part of this glove is the TruSport tag on the wrist strap. No ink on this glove as well.
Attachments
Woodie Held 004.jpg
Woodie Held 002.jpg
Woodie Held 001.jpg
smr1
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: 50's Glove - TruSport - Woodie Held

Postby MTGLOVEGUY » August 9th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Hi, i am interested in the Held glove if you want to part ways with it, Thanks
Wanted- HOF Endorsed Gloves, Cleveland Indians Endorsed Gloves.
MTGLOVEGUY
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 10th, 2010, 7:38 pm

With that familiar "Pro Maker" stamping, it looks like we can add another company to the long list that Denkert made gloves for!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 10th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Definitely a Denkert model - looks like TruSport was buying from a couple companies because I've seen Sonnett gloves with the TruSport stamping.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » August 11th, 2010, 11:24 am

The patent number confirms it. It's for a unique method of palm lacing to pre-form the pocket and it was issued to Denkert.

While Dekert brand gloves aren't generally held in high regard, their business strategy has always intrigued me. I can think of perhaps a dozen different "private label" companies they produced gloves for besides their own brand. They just always struck me as "the little company that could", an underdog swimming in a sea of sharks (the big nationally-known sporting goods concerns). You just gotta root for the underdog!

This year my trips to antique shows and flea markets have been seriously curtailed by my other hobby, umpiring. I've been on the field pretty much every weekend, all weekend long, and that has allowed me to attend only a couple of shows. I picked up just one glove all summer- a 1950's JC Higgins #1673 Mickey Mantle endorsed glove. Intrigued by this oddity, I checked the patent number for clues to its origin. It's a Denkert!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby mikesglove » August 26th, 2010, 2:20 am

BretMan wrote:
The patent number confirms it. It's for a unique method of palm lacing to pre-form the pocket and it was issued to Denkert.
patents_002.png
1956 patent to Henry Denkert No. 2750594. Note the diverted thumb seam and one piece palm. pretty classy design!
mikesglove

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures