Rawlings GJ49

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Rawlings GJ49

Postby mas » May 19th, 2010, 10:42 am

I picked this up a while back as part of a larger lot of gloves I bought from a guy off Craigslist.
I'm not sure if this completely belongs on the vintage forum or more with the modern forum. I am assuming this is an early 70's glove.

Rawlings GJ 49. What I found interesting is that it is endorsed by Johnny Bench. I know he played a handful of games at positions other than catcher earlier in his career, and then the last few years he played I think he was pretty much playing third base, but I have never seen a glove other than a catcher's mitt carry the Johnny Bench endorsement.

Can anyone tell me about this glove?

[img]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/mattspurgin/utf-8BSU1HMDAxNDEuanBn.jpg?t=1274279573[/img]
[img]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/mattspurgin/utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzkuanBn.jpg?t=1274280032[/img]
[img]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv148/mattspurgin/utf-8BSU1HMDAxNDAuanBn.jpg?t=1274280061[/img]
mas
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Rawlings GJ49

Postby softball66 » May 20th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Companies sometimes, if the player lists at different positions will issue c mitt, 1b mitt or fielders for same player. Joe Torre is the best example of this with all three types sold at retail. Curt Blefary another with all three I think. Mantle had glove and 1b mitt as did Musial several more. Big name players from the past like Ruth and Ted Williams had endoresments with all three.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Rawlings GJ49

Postby BretMan » May 23rd, 2010, 7:17 am

I think the reasoning behind this glove wasn't so much "we need to put position-specific endorsements on position-specific gloves" as it was "we need to put hot, popular player endorsements on more gloves to help us sell more gloves".

At the time- the early 70's- there weren't too many players hotter than Johnny Bench. When this glove was issued, Bench had been the Rookie of the Year ('68), named to four straight All-Star teams, the National League MVP, led the league in home runs and RBI's and played in a World Series- all at the ripe old age of 23. And his best years were still ahead.

In 1972, Rawlings issued not one, but two Bench-endorsed fielders gloves and four different Bench-endorsed catcher's mitts! That has to be some kind of record right there. Can anybody come up with any player who had as many as six different endorsed models in a single season?

The GJ49 was a glove in the mid-price range. The other Bench fielder glove was the GJ119, a small kid-sized glove that was actually the least expensive glove they sold that year. Interestingly, 1972 seems to be the only year that Rawlings offered these.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures