Brimfield May 2010

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Brimfield May 2010

Postby vintagebrett » May 11th, 2010, 7:24 pm

The annual Brimfield Antiques show is this week so we trekked up there early this morning in freezing temperatures to see if there was anything worth buying. Had a good day buying and selling. Picked up some gloves inlcuding an OK Doerr model I didn't have, a 1920's Winchester, 2 late 20's Goldsmiths, a JC Higgins catchers mitt, a Ken Jones split finger, a Cliff Heathcote split finger, a more modern Nokona Kangaroo glove. Bats included a Kren Spcieal, Simmons Swatter, LS 40LG Gehrig, Ted Klu/Chuck Klein pro models (post career). Picked up a sweet lot of press photos and a pair of OK boxing gloves - they have a sewn tag - first pre 1950 OK item I've seen with a sewn tag.

Had fun chatting with Matt, William, Corey L. and others!! Too tired to take any pictures. Time to watch Lost, catch some Z's and go back at it tomorrow.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: Brimfield May 2010

Postby vintagebrett » May 12th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Day 2 brought cold weather and rain! Didn't stop people from showing up as there were lots of buyers. Picked up a outward seam basketball, early volleyball, 3 gloves - an OK Clinch, Spalding Whitey Ford and an Excelsior Al Simmons, 2 bats, and a Spalding baseball penicl sharpener.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby murphusa » May 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm

How are the prices running in the field this year
Last edited by murphusa on May 14th, 2010, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 12th, 2010, 7:37 pm

I've been happy with the prices - some steals, some fair buys. There is overpriced stuff but it isn't selling - saw a Spalding fielders trophy on Tuesday - 3800.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » May 13th, 2010, 7:24 pm

Day three only brought me a Wilson A2000 XLC. My wife, however, was able to load up the car with furniture and things for the house. One more new field to open tomorrow - hoping to find a couple more things but I'm happy with the way the week has gone.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » May 14th, 2010, 2:26 pm

Day four - 1920's Wright Ditson fielders glove with tennis player patch, 1920's Rawlings 1B mitt model FB, Spalding 1091 Colavito (for those that like this era, this one is drool worthy - very clean), 1960's Spalding top line catchers mitt, 2 Spalding bats from late 20's/early 30's - a Smead Jolley and a willow fungo bat. Will write more when I get some energy. Here's a picture of what my wife and I picked up at Brimfield so far - she wants to go back tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_9554.JPG
Brimfield haul - May 2010
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » May 15th, 2010, 6:56 am

I'll be adding some pictures of the gloves as I get to them. Here are two. First up is the 1920's Wright & Ditson with tennis player tag - love the rolled leather binding. Second is the Spalding 1091 Rocky Colavito - this glove has a super soft lining and gorgeous tag.
Attachments
wrightditson1.JPG
Wright & Ditson tennis player glove - front
wrightditson2.JPG
Wright & Ditson tennis player glove - back
wrightditson3.JPG
Wright & Ditson tennis player tag
colavito1.JPG
Spalding Rocky Colavito 1091 Front
colavito2.JPG
Spalding Rocky Colavito 1091 back
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » May 15th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Poked around again today with my wife and son. Came up with a nice 20's uniform with 3/4 length sleeves. I'll post pictures and write a larger recap tomorrow when I have some actual energy.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » May 16th, 2010, 1:09 pm

Brimfield, May 2010 was a really good show for both buying and selling. Tuesday started off kind of slow but once we started finding stuff, more items kept popping up in different spots. It seems there were a lot of gloves and bats to look at, just not too many high quality ones. Prices were mostly fair - there were some really nice bats and a Spalding trophy that were overpriced. Each year it is interesting to see what the buyers are there for. Vintage clothing seems to be really popular right now - I sold a bunch of old letter sweaters and jerseys - the person two booths down from me had tubs of clothing and it was flying everywhere!! Dealer turnout was about the same as the past couple years - there were a few empty spots in different fields. Tons of shoppers throughout the entire week, even Wednesday when it was in the 40's and raining. Number9 brought it to my attention that there was celebrity on the field and she did walk by my booth later in the day - wouldn't have recognized her unless William and brought it to my attention - guess he can't get enough of his Full House DVD's. :)

Here are some more pictures of a couple pick-ups including two OK gloves for my own collection the the Spalding uniform I picked up yesterday.
Attachments
ok-modelFGJ-bobdoerr-pic1.JPG
OK - Bob Doerr model FGJ - front
ok-modelFGJ-bobdoerr-pic2.JPG
OK - Bob Doerr model FGJ - back
ok-model757-theclinch-pic1.JPG
OK - The Clinch - front
ok-model757-theclinch-pic2.JPG
OK - The Clinch - back
spaldinguniform1.JPG
Spalding uniform
spaldinguniform2.JPG