Very Good Weekend

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Very Good Weekend

Postby rdb34 » May 2nd, 2010, 3:50 pm

I took Brett's advice and made the trip to the Kane Couny Flea Market yesterday and found a couple of nice gloves and then this morning went to one of the local haunts and found a few more nice things.

The first glove I bought was a Spalding catchers mitt Player's Choice Model# S. It's in pretty good shape the tag is faded but intact and the buckle strap is strong and not detached. The leather is a little dry but I bet a good conditioning will really bring it back to life. One weird thing is that it seems to be shedding feathers. Is this something the manufacturers filled the gloves with back in the day or do you guys think it was later addition? By the way Brett I bought this off a guy named Phil and he told me to tell you Hi.

The second glove I found was a Ken-Wel fielder's glove endorsed by Babe Pinelli Model# 550. I forgot to bring my pocket price guide so when I made it home two hours later I was delightfully suprised to find that this glove is pretty scarce. The autographed player finder book says this model has only been found in a manufacturers catalog. The glove is in pretty good condition although it needs to be cleaned, the tag is pretty dirty, the laced web is broken, and there's a named written on the strap. Still a pretty sweet glove that looks like it's modeled after the Dazzy Vance gloves.

Today I woke up early and had an itch to go to a local flea market. The whole way there it was raining and when I pulled into the parking lot it looked like there was about twenty vendors. I walked around and decided to go into the cafeteria building and there in the display case was the mask, ball, and ad. The nice little old lady told me the three items were a package deal and that the Cream of Wheat ad was verification of the masks age so I took all three home.
The mask looks to be a "spider man" catchers mask (I think that's what they call them on Ebay) that's in pretty good shape no makers mark visible.
The baseball looks to be handmade and made out of a canvas type material. The Cream of Wheat ad came out of a Lady's Home Journal Magazine from 1923.

Overall, A very nice weekend!

Any information about any of the items would be appreciated, Thank You
Attachments
IMG_5216.JPG
IMG_5221.JPG
IMG_5219.JPG
IMG_5222.JPG
IMG_5214.JPG
IMG_5212.JPG
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Very Good Weekend

Postby rdb34 » May 2nd, 2010, 3:52 pm

Rest of the pictures.
Attachments
IMG_5209.JPG
IMG_5211.JPG
IMG_5210.JPG
IMG_5208.JPG
IMG_5207.JPG
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 2nd, 2010, 8:18 pm

Cool finds! I had a picker at the show yesterday but he told me he didn't find anything - now I know why. :) Yes, I know Phil - haven't talked to him in awhile, hope he is doing well.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ScottWNJ » May 3rd, 2010, 11:35 am

Nice stuff. I like the finger lacing on the Pinelli glove.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures