Recent finds

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Recent finds

Postby ScottWNJ » April 29th, 2010, 8:50 pm

I haven't posted anything in a while. Nothing really high end due to budget constraints, but I like these just the same.
First up is Wilson Walz Ralph Kiner glove I picked up on Ebay. Youth model, but beautifully reconditioned buy previous owner.
Soft and supple with a great leather smell. I wish I could condition gloves like this.
Next is a Goldsmith G18 Gene Moore, found in an antique mall. Not a rare name, but has nice soft leather. Probably could clean, but will leave as is.
Finally picked up this at the antique mall in NJ where I have a booth. Rawlings XPG26 Mickey Mantle. Needs cleaning and
has ink on back of fingers. Overall nice condition. If I attempt to clean, I'm thinking of Fast Orange.
That's it for now. Comments welcome.
Scott Williams
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Recent finds

Postby softball66 » April 30th, 2010, 9:15 am

You did a fine job in cleaning your gloves. That's the first time I'd heard of a Wilson Walz store brand glove and I'm guessing, made by Denkert as Kiner models show up on Denkert made "off brands."
The Mantle glove is also well cleaned and conditioned.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » May 1st, 2010, 12:38 am

Joe, those gloves are as found. I didn't touch them. The Wilson Walz was cleaned and conditioned by the seller. The other two were as-is. So I guess I should leave them alone. All I could find about Wilson Walz, is that it is or was a sporting goods company in Irving, Texas.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » May 2nd, 2010, 8:07 am

I'll see what I can find out locally on the Wilson Walz. I'm fairly familiar with many of the larger sporting goods stores and chains in the area, for the past 50 years any way. CB gloves (Cullem & Boren Sporting Goods was the biggest). Oshman's, a large SG chain out of Houston, took many of those stores. Cullem & Boren also was owned by the same people who owned Red Fox uniform company and you will see some of those labels on baseball uniforms. Looks like someone took very good care of those gloves before you picked them up.
I've had some problem with "Smokers" gloves on the last two purchases on ebay. I've put them in a sealed box with some baking soda odor remover to get some of that musty smoke smell out of them.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures