The Hunt for Old Leather!

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

The Hunt for Old Leather!

Postby BretMan » May 17th, 2006, 10:51 pm

I visit as many antique shows and shops, flea markets, garage sales, auctions, etc. as I can find the time for in search of vintage gloves. The really old stuff is hard to find! I've found a few old ones, a few more newer ones, a few I've passed on and a few that were out of my price range.

Anything that is in decent shape or easily cleaned and relaced I'll pick-up for $5-$10. That might be all that they are worth, but they are still fun to work on and collect. I've found a handful of usable gloves like this, even some nice 50's thru 70's era gloves such as a Wilson Dave Cash with the "shooting star" logo, a nice Wilson Bobby Bonds and a Wilson Ryne Duren model. I've lost track of the number of purchases I've made of these common-type gloves.

Basically, if it's all in one piece, cheap and it catches my eye, I'll buy it!

My favorite finds from the past year:

- Wilson A2010 Johnny Antonelli model. About VG condition. Paid $8.

- Wilson A2005, no endorsement, horizontal hinge web, from 1970's. EX. $10.

- Wilson A2000 XXC, 13" model, import. Shell and lining EX with some roughness on the piping. I relaced this glove and am using it today! Only paid five bucks!

- Rawlings HOH Johnny Bench catcher's mitt. PRO-LT model in EX. Paid $15.

- Rawlings XPG3 Warren Spahn, HOH, later mid-60's model with Flex-O-Matic heel. Patch a little rough, but all there. I love this glove! Paid $5!

- D&M split finger "Softball" model DP124 (can't find this one in the catalog). Horsehide, external padding, blonde leather, absolutely stunning all-there stampings with a large "Lucky Dog" logo in the palm and perfect "LD" brass button with all the red paint in it.. The bad: missing the two horizontal tunnel webs. But it was only $12, so...

- I "splurged" on this one...Goldsmith (not MacGregor/Goldsmith) Elmer Riddle DW, very clean, $30.

- MacGregor/Goldsmith G111 Bobby Doerr, top line early 50's glove, very clean. $10.

Not a bad bunch of gloves for just a notch less than $100!

The warm-weather flea market season is just getting underway in these parts. I hope that I'll have more finds to add soon!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures