Wilson jim Rice A2250

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Wilson jim Rice A2250

Postby english baseball nut » February 4th, 2010, 8:36 am

hi all picked up a mint condition Wilson Jim Rice A2250 from ebay :D wondered if anyone knew what it was worth and how old it is please ?

english baseball nut
Last edited by english baseball nut on February 25th, 2010, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minnesota twins all the way
english baseball nut
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Wilson jim Rice A2250

Postby B17surf » February 5th, 2010, 6:39 pm

You should look in to buying Joe Phillips' book on glove catalogs and his price guide. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and it is extremely addicting to look up all kinds of gloves. I almost feel like getting a second one to keep in my vehicle so that I can look a glove up right then and there when I see one. Again, I highly recommend getting the book. I promise you, for the first couple of weeks, you'll be looking up every glove you find.
B17surf
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » February 5th, 2010, 6:45 pm

YOUR GLOVE SOLD FOR $30 IN 1979, WHILE THE A2000 top of line sold for $86.
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby english baseball nut » February 5th, 2010, 7:33 pm

ok guys thank you is it a low mid or top range glove please?
minnesota twins all the way
english baseball nut
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » February 5th, 2010, 8:29 pm

I'll second the motion to buy Joe's book. I've used mine so much that the cover is falling off!

The price a glove originally sold for is a good indication of its quality level. Just like the old adage says, you get what you pay for. The Wilson catalog for that year listed only two gloves that were less expensive than the Rice model, while there were about a dozen more expensive ones. Retail prices ranged from $20 to $86. That puts the average price of Wilson gloves that year at roughly $56.

As a "ballpark" reference, I'd consider any they sold in the $40-$50 range as "mid-priced", anything above that as "top-line" (as opposed to "top-of-the-line", which would be the most expensive A2000's) and anything below that as "lower-priced". That's just a rough guideline, though, not a hard and fast rule. That particular year, the average price is probably skewed a little higher as they sold five different versions of the A2000 and relatively fewer low-end, player endorsed models. But the different retail prices are a reflection of the size of the glove, the quality of the leather and materials used and how well the glove was constructed.

One thing about those old gloves- even the lesser-priced offerings have better leather and are probably more durable than anything you can buy for the same price nowadays!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures