MacGregor Goldsmith G155

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

MacGregor Goldsmith G155

Postby mas » February 2nd, 2010, 4:25 pm

Today I received a glove lot that I purchased off Ebay. Included in this lot was a MacGregor Goldsmith G155. Trap style first base mitt.

I am not much of a vintage glove person.

Can anyone tell me anything about this mitt? Overall it is in ok condition. The leather is not super hard and britle. The palm lining is a bit worn, but not worn through. I am not sure about the padding and lining of the finger area. (I have never seen a mitt like this before in person.) The trap laces have been replaced with cloth shoelaces. The patch is missing off the back, and the piping, which appeared to be a coated cloth material, is missing off most of the mitt.

If anyone can tell me anything about this glove model I would appreciate it. My knowledge of vintage gloves is limited. Would any forum members think this would be a mitt that would be worth restoring or is it better used as decoration of the wall at a sportsbar?

Thanks in advance.
mas
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: MacGregor Goldsmith G155

Postby okdoak » February 2nd, 2010, 11:29 pm

Joe Phillips' Vintage Baseball Glove Catalog Source Book shows your G155 listed in the 1951 and 1952 MacGregor Goldsmith catalogs. It sold new for $12.00 in 1951. Their top of the line basemitt sold for $28.00 that year. I guess I would look at it more as a wall hanger and not worth the money to have it restored especially with the patch missing. Mid line basemitts from that era are pretty common also. If you do get more into glove collecting, Joe's source book is definitely worth picking up and invaluable for dating and identifying gloves.
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures