Ace Must Be The Place

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Ace Must Be The Place

Postby softball66 » January 28th, 2010, 8:54 am

Questioner sent me pix of this catchers mitt that he said his uncle used during World War II while in the Navy. It's a Gus Mancuso block letter but the oddity is the
"ACE" in the shadow type set diagonally and uneven which I've never seen before. Anyone seen anything like this ACE logo or emblem?
ace glove-.jpeg
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Ace Must Be The Place

Postby okdoak » January 28th, 2010, 2:31 pm

Never seen one like that before, Joe. For what it's worth, I have a True Value Hal Gregg, though. Any other gloves out there with hardware store connections? :wink:
okdoak

Postby ebbets55 » January 28th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Greg, I just pulled up my sales list of gloves I used to own and did a search and came up with the following Hardware Store companies. Man, I should have kept these as it would have been a fun subset.

Marshall Wells Hardware
Michigan Hardware
Williams Hardware
Simmons Hardware
White Hardware
Bush, Mize & Shilman Hardware
Kruse Hardware

JD
ebbets55

Postby softball66 » January 28th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Well Hardware stores were a great crossover locale for players to buy their gloves especially in the smaller towns where there were no sporting goods stores, not even a Sears or Montgomery Ward available.
I think I've seen a C&S Hardware Glove.
Simmons Hardware, of course, is where Bradsby worked as a saleman before Hillerich brought him on board.
softball66

Postby okdoak » January 29th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Just amazed at what I learn on the forum! I had no idea that there were that many gloves with hardware store stampings. :shock:
okdoak

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures