Reach Catcher's Mitt

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Reach Catcher's Mitt

Postby Smokey Burgess » November 1st, 2009, 10:00 am

Hello. First time poster here...
I signed up since I'm in foreign territory when it comes to gloves.

I purchased a Reach catcher's mitt from a local antique store. Diameter is about 10 inches. The back side, with strap is best described as typical glove-colored leather. Some grunge, but in good shape overall. Reach trademark sewn on leather. The front side is a sort of aged, white suede-like leather. Reach labels and stampings are in great condition. On the front side, patent info is printed/stamped in black with the year 1891, and what appears to be the model # 150.

I know little about gloves. Can someone tell me what I have?
Regards, John
Smokey Burgess
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mushroomknob » November 1st, 2009, 10:08 am

If you can post a couple of pictures.Im sure you would get help with your mitt.Sound like a nice early mitt by description.

Dave S
mushroomknob
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Smokey Burgess » November 1st, 2009, 11:02 am

Dave or others,
Can I send you 4 photos to post for me? I am not set up to store photos as described in FAQ.
Smokey Burgess
Rookie Glove Poster

Pictures!

Postby Smokey Burgess » November 1st, 2009, 1:58 pm

Pictures by Photobucket!

Smokey Burgess
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » November 2nd, 2009, 8:05 pm

The date stamps on the mitt will give you a general idea of when it was produced. Generally, the stamps would be used until a design change was made. I'm not sure what design patent those numbers are referencing, but, that style was made from roughly the mid 1890's to the early 1900's. Anything with a crescent pad along the heel is desirable. Yours looks very clean from the front. The back looks like a different story. It's hard to tell if it's worn and dry, or, just dirty. If you paid under $300 for it, you did well. I would expect that mitt to bring between $300-500 on ebay, maybe more. Catcher's mitts don't get much respect among collectors, unfortunately. Yours, however, is very nice.
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » November 3rd, 2009, 12:33 am

I agree with part of what you are saying but not all of it in this case. I'm posting because what I replied to him in his e-mail to me was at variance. I told him about $200ish. This is a youth catchers mitt as indicative by the size, the cloth piping and the shoelace web. This model number was made until the teens. I place it in the early 1900's, maybe closer to 1910 being a youth model as inferior models were produced longer. I have sold at least 10 youth model crescent catchers mitts over the years and I have never, ever, ever come close to $200 on them and some were very nice. I would agree with your price if it was an adult sized mitt but this one is a youth model from what I can tell. What do you think?

JD
ebbets55

Postby Rickybulldog » November 3rd, 2009, 1:15 am

I'm in the 200 range at the max. I would expect it to be in the 300-350 range if it was a big fatty and had all the great markings!
I feel the adult crescent catcher's fall in the 300-350 range. (on a good day)
The adult crescent basemitts fall in the 350-500 range.
The adult crescent fielder's 1,000-2,000.

Although, the bells and whistles drive them up, but I'm just referring to the adult standard brown leather (nothing fancy). Just my 2 cents.

Nice pick up nonetheless!
Rickybulldog

Postby Number9 » November 3rd, 2009, 1:51 am

See, catchers get no respect :D

I agree with Ricky and JD on the size to value equation. A big mitt will always bring more money. Whatever the estimated range would be, I think it could be on the higher end of the scale with those early markings. The front is clean and displays really nice, which never hurts.
Number9

Re: Reach Catcher's Mitt

Postby Smokey Burgess » December 22nd, 2009, 9:29 pm

Moved to Buy/Sell/Trade.
Smokey Burgess
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures