February Finds

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

February Finds

Postby vintagebrett » February 24th, 2007, 10:10 am

During the winter months you have to me more creative when it comes to finding gloves. Lucky for me, I was able to purchase some gloves over the last month through different contacts and now I have a huge pile awaiting cleaning, etc. Anyone want to come over and help me this weekend? 8)

There is nothing super special in the pile but a lot of them will clean up fairly nicely. The one I'm most interested in learning more about is a Goldsmith endorsed by Benny Frey. He is not listed in Joe's glove book and I've never seen. I read up on him a bit and he played for the Cincinnati Reds from 1929 until 1936. In 1937 he was demoted to the minors and then committed suicide. Not a happy tale but interesting none the less. Has anyone ever come across his model glove before?

vintagebrett
Site Admin

I'll take Hershberger with my Frey

Postby softball66 » February 24th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Brett, wish I lived close by. I could bring over some elbow grease. The Lenny Frey glove has shown up earlier (and your's is nice) and I'm adding him to the revised price guide listings. I'd not heard of the glove before that and, like you, looked him up on the suicide bit. I wondered if he were kin to Lonny Frey who came along in Cincy afterwards. :wink:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glove-works » February 24th, 2007, 1:10 pm

I'll help, but you can work on the FB and CM's..... :wink:

Nice pile-o-leather
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 24th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Two of 1B mitts are going to require some creativity. :shock:

I figure I'll do a couple a day for the next couple of days - most of them just need a good cleaning, a couple need relacing.

Just finished up a Barney McCoskey made by MW - this glove is super high quality - I didn't know MW made something this top of the line. I'll get some pictures up later on.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » February 24th, 2007, 4:32 pm

Here is the Frey glove cleaned up - it displays really well from the front.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » February 24th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Here is the Barney McCoskey. Like I said before, this was made by Marathon but it is one of the highest quality gloves I've ever seen by them. All rolled leather binding, huge glove, very well made. The web is kind of interesting as well - I had never relaced one like this before.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby stockbuddy » February 24th, 2007, 5:14 pm

Brett, Nice catch on the old gloves. Good looking leathers.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures