Just a few more......

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Just a few more......

Postby AkBandit » June 20th, 2009, 6:43 pm

Here are a few more Ebay pick-ups.

First up is a Rawlings Stan Musial PMM that was relaced and reconditioned by BretMan at The Glove Shop.
Image[/img]

Next is a Rawlings Mickey Mantle MM6 "The Comet"

Now we have a Ken - Wel Extra Large Pitcher's Model 564.

This is a reproduction of the Lou Gehrig Model 632 zipper-back mitt made by Pastime replicas.

This glove is interesting. A J.C. Higgins Harry Walker Model 355 that is stamped 16/74. Does anyone have any information about this limited edition glove?

Not much info on this one. Stampings are faded. It is a 1930's Buckle-Back. The patent date on the back of the glove is April 12, 1936. I can make out the word American in block letters on the heal with another word above it...ALL? Maybe. Any help is appreciated.

Lastly I picked up my second softball glove. This one made by OK Mfg. Co. Nice soft leather.

All for now, more later.
AkBandit

Postby Mr. Mitt » June 20th, 2009, 9:32 pm

The second to last glove is a Wards Marathon Tony Lazzeri. :)
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » June 21st, 2009, 2:32 am

Are you positive it's a Lazzeri? Without seeing any stampings, I think it could also be a Joe Gordon, Lyn Lary or Earl Averill. I have seen that exact MW glove on all four but the Averill was on a regional brand.

Rob, is your Lary an MW?

JD
ebbets55

Postby AkBandit » June 21st, 2009, 2:39 am

I wonder if it is even a MW glove. As I said in the description the one word I can make out on the front is the word American in block letters.
AkBandit

Postby AkBandit » June 21st, 2009, 2:49 am

Here is a look at the stamping. You can make out the word American if you stare at it a long time. :shock:

AkBandit

Postby Mr. Mitt » June 21st, 2009, 10:36 am

I've only seen that style/cut glove with Lazzeri stampings on it. Each and every one I've handled or viewed on-line turned out to be one. That said, I never specifically seek out Gordon, Lary or Averill gloves, so I may stand corrected.

Also, Jim, Lazzeri is one of those endorsers that we all thought was scarce years ago. Turns out that they're pretty plentiful. Almost felt like every new glove find in a basement, attic or barn had a Lazzeri in the group!
Mr. Mitt

Ken-Wel

Postby Bravosin99 » June 21st, 2009, 10:50 am

Love the Ken-Wel...Looks huge and the inside looks like buttaaaa!
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » June 21st, 2009, 2:42 pm

JD,

I think I bought a Joe Vosmick that was that style as well.
Rickybulldog

Postby vintagebrett » June 21st, 2009, 2:58 pm

Monte Pearson would be another possible endorsement for that style glove - there is one on eBay at this moment.

Cool looking glove - I have a couple of those OK softball gloves and they are fantastic!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby AkBandit » June 21st, 2009, 5:01 pm

I went to JD's Baseball Glove Collector website and looked through every glove. I found 3 that look like mine. There are two Marathons, a Lazzeri and a Joe Gordon, and I found a Joe Vosmick Folsom glove.

There was also the Pearson mentioned on ebay, that just sold to someone with buy it now. Here is the link. It looks more like mine as there is no stamping along the thumb or pinky,

http://cgi.ebay.com/rare-monte-pearson- ... 7C294%3A50

No matter the mystery, I like the glove.
AkBandit

Postby vintagebrett » June 21st, 2009, 6:55 pm

I have another one I should send pictures to JD of then - it is a Noah's Ark Monte Pearson - same looking glove. I'm pretty sure one company made this particular style and sold it to a bunch of retail outlets that had their own logo imprinted.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby AkBandit » June 21st, 2009, 7:09 pm

You're right Brett they are everywhere. Here is a Monte Pearson made by Champion. Same style.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26ps%3D10
AkBandit

Postby Mr. Mitt » June 21st, 2009, 7:50 pm

I stand corrected. Never saw that glove not be a Lazzari... thanks guys!
Mr. Mitt

Postby BretMan » June 21st, 2009, 10:07 pm

The Monte Pearson glove in the eBay auction is a Denkert. I have never seen a case of any other company making a glove for Denkert, but there are at least a dozen different brands that Denkert made for other companies. Those guys had a unique marketing plan and niche, as they seemed to make as many gloves sold under other brand names as they sold under the Denkert logo!

This would lead you to believe that all of the gloves of this design and style were Denkert creations. Perhaps that could be confirmed through patent numbers on the other gloves.

AkBandit, on your other question about the J.C. Higgins glove: My best guess would be that it isn't a "limited edition" glove- that is, the number stamped on it doesn't mean"#16 of 74 created", like you see on many modern collectibles. I have never seen a glove from that era that carried such "limited edition" numbering.

Most all of the J.C. Higgins gloves (the brand name of gloves and sporting goods sold through Sears & Roebuck) were made by sporting goods giant Wilson. Many of these gloves carried the same endorsements that appeared on Wilson gloves, and Walker was a known Wilson endorser.

Also, most all of the Higgins gloves had a model number with four digits, the first two always being "16". While I have never seen one of their model numbers with the "slash" stamped in the middle of it, I would have to say this was just a "general production" glove with a model number of "1674".

That's a nice bunch of gloves you have there. Thanks for sharing them!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby ebbets55 » June 22nd, 2009, 12:38 am

There are a bunch of those styles in the Other Manufacturers Gallery. Brett, I thought I had the only Noah's Ark glove (Earl Averill). You gotta send me a picture to put with this one.

http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/g ... 0Front.JPG

JD
ebbets55

Next

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures