Couple of old mitts (1 crescent) and 1897 Polo Grounds

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Couple of old mitts (1 crescent) and 1897 Polo Grounds

Postby cjw » June 15th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Picked these up at the once-monthly Vancouver retro show, just down the street. I apologize for the grainy pics. I used the camera on my phone.

Both gloves are quite worn. I'd appreciate help with the era, pls. One is a fat, crescent (is this a true crescent?) with no tags and missing wrist strap. Second is even fatter with a suede? palm/. Also no tagging nor strap. This one has some ink writing that I think adds as opposed to detracts, as the glove is quite rough anyway - the past owner has written a chronological history of family ownership. Not sure if the timing is accurate to the era of manufacture however? Reads "1916 - John Roy Campbell; 1929 - Rod McMillan; 1929- Stewart McMillan; 1956-Rob McMillan; Andrea - 1987; Andrew Smillie - 1997.

3rd glove is a small kids, red suede mitt...is mint shape. H.K. Trademark..."Bambo", 'The Highest", "Fully Guaranteed" printed on the palm.

Also picked up a large newspaper insert- New-York Tribune, Illustrated Supplement from Sept 10, 1897 win a color artist's sketch entilted "At The Polo Grounds - A Base Hit". Nice image of the stands and the a bit of the diamond too. No baseball inside, but there are two large team photos - "The Harvard Football Team and Substitutes" and "The Football Team of the Carlisle Indian School" with a '97 dated ball in front ('97 was two years before "Pop" Warner coached and seven years prior to Jim Thorpe's attendance at the school.

Also found a Macgregor mask...is this an umpire's mask?

WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game used items and Vancouver baseball items -Capilanos, Mounties, Canadians
cjw
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 16th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Neat stuff. The crescent is a crescent - not a softball mitt. I think the other glove is neat with the chronology - haven't seen anything like that on a glove before - are you going to add your name? :D
vintagebrett
Site Admin

I should...

Postby cjw » June 17th, 2009, 2:56 am

vintagebrett wrote:Neat stuff. The crescent is a crescent - not a softball mitt. I think the other glove is neat with the chronology - haven't seen anything like that on a glove before - are you going to add your name? :D

Thanks Brett. I should add my name..you are right! :)

Hey, can I ask you what date you would place on these two gloves?

thanks...chris
WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game used items and Vancouver baseball items -Capilanos, Mounties, Canadians
cjw
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 18th, 2009, 4:59 pm

The white crescent would probably be 1900 to 1910 - somewhere in that era. The other one, just a bit after and I think the timeline on the glove is probably pretty accurate.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Thanks!

Postby cjw » June 18th, 2009, 11:28 pm

vintagebrett wrote:The white crescent would probably be 1900 to 1910 - somewhere in that era. The other one, just a bit after and I think the timeline on the glove is probably pretty accurate.

I appreciate it! chris
cjw
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures