Greater Boston Sports Collectors Convention - June 2009

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Greater Boston Sports Collectors Convention - June 2009

Postby vintagebrett » June 5th, 2009, 8:12 pm

This afternoon my dad, my brother and I made the trip up to Wilmington, MA to the 1st summer GBSCC show. We've been the past couple Novembers and have had a good time. My expectations were low because we couldn't get there until a couple hours after the show opened and I knew Number9 was going to be there getting all the good deals! :) Lucky for me, he made some big purchases last weekend and let me get the good stuff this evening.

Before, I continue, I need Rob, Robbie and Ricky to get a drool rag so they can't blame any keyboard malfunctions on the glove they are about to see.

All set, good.

The big purchase is an exceptional D&M catchers mitt. This was top of the line, super well constructed and hardly every used. The white leather is super soft and supple. The tag is brilliant. The glove weighs more than any mitt I've ever put on. Add in the super cool design around the outside and you have yourself one stunning piece of leather (the quick pictures I took don't do it justice).

But that wasn't it for nice stuff. My dad picked up a Nokona Joff Cross with some interesting webbing - we are trying to determine if it's original or added at some point - looks neat none the less. I got a really early while leather Spalding full web with the rare black label. Found two bats we couldn't pass on - an early JF Hillerich and Son Co. decal bat - most of the decal is gone but you can still see "Cobb" pretty clearly. Bat measures 33.5 inches and weighs 42 ounces! Other bat is a Wagon Tongue model 15 with a huge acorn knob. This one measures 33.5 inches and weighs 38 ounces. It had a knot of wood in the handle that went missing at some point in time but it's still a beauty.

Saw some other decent stuff. I was torn on a Cambridge Joe DiMaggio that was made by OK - it was a gorgeous burgundy color and was in excellent shape. Price was a little to steep after my other purchases. Overall, great night - got some good stuff, got to talk to Number9, Andy S., Dave Bushing and some other hobby friends. Oh, but you probably want to see the pictures.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Deacon » June 5th, 2009, 9:01 pm

nice pick ups Brett...that mitt is a beauty
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » June 6th, 2009, 12:31 am

Lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take the c-mitt and the spalding, please. Haha. Great pick ups. Let me know if or when they are available. :D

Joel, you got something to say about the bat? :D
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby cubsrno1 » June 6th, 2009, 12:52 am

Nice! :) Super pickups Brett.

Ricky, I'm speechless!!
cubsrno1
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mushroomknob » June 6th, 2009, 8:59 am

great items love the wagon tongue !
mushroomknob
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 6th, 2009, 10:35 am

Thanks guys. Here are some additional pictures. The funny thing about the Wagon Tongue is there are no Spalding marks on it.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mushroomknob » June 6th, 2009, 10:43 am

Brett,thanks for showing the close up photo of the wagon tongue.Thats the first I have seen without a spalding logo.

Dave
mushroomknob
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » June 6th, 2009, 11:43 am

Want them ... WANT THEM ALL! Great pickups Brett ... and yes, I'll be contacting you real soon about the D&M. On your mark, get set, send email!

Another interesting thing about that Cross is the front-facing Doak-like grommets. Not too many non Doaks with that feature. If those webs are original -- and they appear so from the photo and are cool -- it looks like Nokona was going after Rawlings and Mac Golds popular features in one fell swoop. Love those gloves with multile unique features!

Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » June 6th, 2009, 1:48 pm

My dad mentioned the grommets/Doak as well. We'll probably never know if it was the original web or not but it looks cool.

Regarding the D&M, I haven't decided what to do with it yet but your neighbor(s) down the road have put in their claims as well.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » June 6th, 2009, 7:36 pm

That doesn't seem very neighborly :-) Let's just see what those neighbors have for stunner Sonnets.
GloveCrazy

Postby Rickybulldog » June 6th, 2009, 8:00 pm

ImageImage

Dude, Why you blockin? Line cutter!
Rickybulldog

Postby Number9 » June 8th, 2009, 12:27 am

I'm out of my comfort range with the Nokona, so I could be completely wrong, but, I think that the web is an altered original. There is a newer version of the glove currently running on ebay. It's also a triple tunnel web but without the front facing eyelets. It looks to have a similar web style and you can see that each tunnel could easily be cut in half. Why? Who knows. I think your glove looks better than the standard web.
Number9

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures