Ripon

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Ripon

Postby okdoak » June 3rd, 2009, 4:24 pm

I live about 30 miles from Ripon, Wisconsin, where they used to make BB gloves at the Ripon Knitting Works way back when. I've searched the web and my local library trying to find info about their glove manufacturing days but came up empty. Have to see if their Historical Society has anything one of these days. All I know about their gloves is that they look like they were made during the 1940s and I don't think I've seen two that were exactly the same. They seem to do pretty well on ebay. JD's site has pictures of some nice ones, including his very cool zippered heel model. Mine is pretty beat up, but I like the raised seams, I-type web, and the Ripon button. Anybody else have pictures or info on Ripon gloves? Although I wouldn't mind an upgrade, I promise I won't pester you about selling yours if you post a picture of it! The postcard shows the old Knitting Works building (on the left, I guess?)

Image :) :)
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » June 3rd, 2009, 10:36 pm

Nice items. I like the jersey top. Is the maker Ripon too?
Rickybulldog

Postby ebbets55 » June 3rd, 2009, 11:34 pm

Wow! That sure is some cool stuff Greg. What a great display. That glove is great. Since Ripon gloves are so tough, would you please send me pics of the glove. I would love to get it in the Ripon Gallery so we can keep them all together for everyone. Wish I had more info on the company for you. You are probably the foremost expert at this point. Thanks for sharing.

JD
ebbets55

Postby okdoak » June 3rd, 2009, 11:41 pm

Thanks Ricky. The only tag I can read on it says Bertrand's Sports Shop, Green Bay, Wis. Back of the jersey has Silver Creek Canning embroidered on it. Possibly from an old semi-pro league? I picked it up at a memorabilia show in Milwaukee a long time ago.
okdoak

Postby okdoak » June 4th, 2009, 12:07 am

Thanks, JD! Will send pictures to you ASAP. Given that we haven't seen a whole lot of Ripon gloves, I'm thinking that your zippered heel model may be a one of a kind. Either way, it's a beauty! :)
okdoak

Postby ebbets55 » June 4th, 2009, 12:21 am

Thanks. Paul Gertsen traded it to me many, many years ago. I haven't seen any others except for a couple of the Wilsons but the zippers were on the exterior bottom, not in the inner lining. I have always loved it.

Funny thing, Rob sold me the Ripon box a long time ago but wanted to keep the mitt as it was just perfect. I didn't blame him. I matched the mitt up years later when I got mine on eBay. It's always fun matching up a glove to a box, especially when you can find a mint glove.

JD
ebbets55

Re: Ripon

Postby mikesglove » September 8th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Hey Greg, nothing I could find about the "Leather Division" of Ripon Knitting Works online. That seems unusual since they were in business for so long. Your glove is real nice. The out-seams were a Dubow patent and have a much cleaner look than the Wilson version. I'll post a few more pics that are interesting.

The 1930's factory
ripon1930.jpg
Boxes marked "Ripon Knitting Works" out for delivery looks kind of precarious.
ripondxa.JPG
ripondxsz.JPG
ripondxsz.JPG (17.34 KiB) Viewed 8796 times

A mint Ripon glove stamped with the elusive "Leather Division"
Ripon 11 Front_800.jpg
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » September 9th, 2011, 12:52 am

Yes it is odd that there's so little info to be found about Ripon. Their Historical Society told me that one of their members was doing a lot of research on the Knitting Works. When I emailed her, she wasn't even aware that they made baseball gloves. I sent her pictures of some Ripon gloves but never got a reply. The Knitting Works also had an employee newsletter that mentioned their role in supplying leather goods for soldiers in WWII, but didn't mention baseball gloves. It's a mystery?! Thanks for posting the pictures.
okdoak

Postby chippalini » February 20th, 2012, 1:49 am

I just purchased a Ripon 1st base mitt today. Didn't know anything about them. Read this, still don't know a lot, but it appears that I am not alone. Looks like a cool mitt from the picture. I will try to post when I get the glove.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures