Brimfield - May 2009

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Postby vintagebrett » May 15th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Ha! I do come off as a cranky curmudgeon, don't I. Actually, the shopping wasn't great compared to some years - it seems to go in cycles and the other sports people I talked to agreed this was a down show. There were tons of shoppers and the fields were full so that was a good thing.

I think my main complaint (and it's not a really a complaint) with the 4 days is that I didn't find any super bargains. All the gloves and bats in the picture were fairly priced - nothing outrageous but no steals either. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't - the story I heard from a couple of people is that one dealer pulled a late 1800's presentation bat with all the bells and whistles for $100 - that is what you hope to find but rarely do.

Overall, I was happy with my purchases - nothing great but they are nice gloves. Plus I think those TG12 guys might like this model - it must be the first year they made it because the web still says patent pending.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » May 15th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Yep, cranky curmudgeon :wink: All I can say is I'm pretty impressed that you had any energy to post at the end of each day, but I hear you on hoping for a holy grail find. That's one of the biggest things that gets my behind out of bed when I decide to go (hello fingerless). My only comparable experience is being a dealer at the last Anaheim National and I was just spent at the end of each day. I literally went to bed at like 6:00PM every night because it was just such a different experience than my body was used to. That, or I am just getting old! How'd your selling go?
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 15th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Selling was interesting - I sold one glove to a guy who wanted it for his son's room. No one really even looked at the gloves I had out and they were nice and priced to move. I sold almost all of my uniforms that I brought - football, baseball and basketball. And they weren't sport collectors who bought them - there are these rabid fashion/design people who buy them up. As Number9 pointed out, Brimfield is more of a furniture/household show. There are lots of people looking to accessorize houses, shops, boutiques, etc.There aren't many sport collectors shopping - there are dealers but they don't even look at your stuff if they recognize you, figuring that they aren't going to get a good deal -mghpro and I had a discussion about this while we were set up.

I'm exhausted today - mix in a teething 8 month old, a season finale of Lost that has me totally flabbergasted I spend a good portion of the last 2 days trying to figure out what will happen next season and a bunch of household chores that I'm trying to get caught up on - I think I may hit the hay right after Beckett does at 7 pm tonight! :lol:
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Rickybulldog » May 15th, 2009, 5:16 pm

So what lies in the shadow of the statue? :?
Haha. My wife and I are hooked. Anyway, glad you picked up some really nice things. Love the lawyer bookshelf and can't wait to see the documentary film Brimfield of Dreams.
Rickybulldog

Postby vintagebrett » May 15th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Ricky - Ille qui nos omnis servabit :)

The other full web I picked up today - the tag reads "Gus Habich Sporting Goods, Indianapolis, IN" - it was a nice glove at some point. Anyone seen that tag before??
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Rickybulldog » May 15th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Aw yes, "He who will save/protect us all". Did Jacob tell you? Haha. Enough of our nerdiness. :roll:

Besides Matt and yourself, were there any other sports sellers? What did it cost to sell?
Rickybulldog

Postby vintagebrett » May 17th, 2009, 9:58 am

There are some other sports dealers there but not as many as there used to be back in the good ole days. Price to set up varies because the shows are open different lengths - for our booth (20 x 24) and two people it was $160 - it's a quick show so you only have a couple hours to make your money.

Here are better pics of the gloves I picked up and my new display filled with leather:

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » May 18th, 2009, 12:23 pm

The pictures (especially the display) look great! What do you mean by you only had a few hours to make money? Was that field only open for a few hours?
GloveCrazy

Postby MGHProductions » May 18th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Brett...Gloves and Case look awesome!!!

As for the show, its only open for 4 hours (1pm-5pm). This year they actually let us leave the field early because rain was on the way.

Matt
MGHProductions
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 18th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Yeah, the shows have different opening and closing times - some fields are open all week long, some are open for a couple hours on a certain day. I'd probably sell more if I was set up all week but that makes it more difficult to shop and sleep. :)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » May 18th, 2009, 9:06 pm

I was hoping to have a report on the Springield, Ohio antique show but, alas, I didn't make it...

A couple of days before the show, I got a phone call looking for an umpire for a double header on Saturday. Then, I got an email looking for an umpire for three games in a fastpitch tournament on Sunday!

That pretty much filled up my weekend. So, instead of hitting the show and maybe spending a couple hundred bucks on baseball-related stuff, I worked the games and got paid a couple hundred bucks for doing baseball-related stuff!

Maybe I'll make the next show in June...
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby vintagebrett » May 21st, 2009, 5:52 am

Well, here you go - just realize that I'm not a filmmaker and if you get motion sickness, you probably shouldn't watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9YpY9CTQ0
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mushroomknob » May 21st, 2009, 8:25 am

Nice film Brett,Looks like you had a very nice booth plenty of nice gloves and nice bats.

Dave s
mushroomknob
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 21st, 2009, 9:21 am

The first booth in the film is mine - the second is Liam O'Bannion's set up.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby MGHProductions » May 23rd, 2009, 8:56 pm

Nice Job Brett. Way to cover the show.
Matt
MGHProductions
Veteran Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures