Assistance Please - Recent Pick Ups

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Postby smr1 » May 4th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Glovers,

This past weekend my sister was "yardsaling" and called me to see if I would be interested in three gloves and a ball that she came across. I tried to determine what gloves she was looking at by asking a few questions. After a few minutes, I asked her to pick up the gloves. When I got the gloves, I was a little unsure about the make on the one glove, the year of the two identical Rawlings, and some information that was written on the ball.

So, I was wandering if this group could shed a little light on the subject regarding the two Rawlings CMG gloves (particularly the year or any other information) and the other glove (not sure about the manufacturer) - the tag on the back states - Professional Model Japan. This is the second glove pictured below.

The last item is pretty cool - the ball. Not all of the writing is legible. However, it appears to read Ted Williams - Yankees - ????? - May 30, 1950. When I googled that date - it revealed that the Yankees and Red Sox played on that date. So, not sure if Williams gave a ball to someone, or he hit a foul ball, or maybe even a homerun (huge longshot). I tried to google a boxscore for that game, but without any luck.

Photos to follow.
Last edited by smr1 on May 4th, 2009, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smr1
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby smr1 » May 4th, 2009, 6:47 pm

smr1
Veteran Glove Poster

your gloves

Postby softball66 » May 15th, 2009, 8:04 am

First glove the Rawlings is interesting in that probably not a cataloged glove item and probably rests in the youth size glove of the day, maybe off one of the lesser price Rawlings gloves like the MM4 etc. I don't recall having seen this model number.
Your second glove is an early import, likely from Japan and brought in by a sporting goods distributor. These early imports eventually spelled doom for the U.S. manufacturers like Denkert, Dubow, Stall and Dean as they couldn't compete price-wise with the lower priced imports. Likely your glove made in Japan in the early 1960s'.
Your ball holds some interest but too much of the ink imprint is missing.
Keep up the good work though!
:lol:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby smr1 » May 15th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Thanks for the help. I didn't think that I could go wrong when my sister said they were asking $1.00 for each glove and the ball.

There were two of the CMG gloves. The larger pictured glove measures 10" from the top of the index finger to the base of the palm. The inside of the glove feels great - no damage.

Again - thanks for the assistance.

Take care.
Scott
smr1
Veteran Glove Poster

Boxscores from these two games

Postby cjw » May 16th, 2009, 2:24 pm

The boxscores are accessible for each of the two games of the double header the teams played this day, if you want to contact the www.basebal-almanac.com webmaster.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamsta ... 1950&t=BOS

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/success.shtml

chris
WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game used items and Vancouver baseball items -Capilanos, Mounties, Canadians
cjw
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures