D&M Ruth from Ebay

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

D&M Ruth from Ebay

Postby drasher81 » January 31st, 2007, 12:17 pm

Picked up a pretty rough White D&M on ebay in hopes that it was a G41
for $45 plus shipping. You cant believe the excitement when I opened the box to see what was left of a Faded Babe Ruth Endorsement, it is very faded but still is there none the less. This is probably the luckiest find I have to this point!!
I have also attached a photo of the one used by the Babe from the Barry Halper collection. You can see how the glove is 100% identical and the highlighted signature area matches. The cross bar on the TH is the most visible part of whats left of the endorsement.

Last edited by drasher81 on January 31st, 2007, 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drasher81

WOW!

Postby Mike**Mize » January 31st, 2007, 12:57 pm

WAY TO GO! Nice pick-up. What do you do now? Retire! The glove looks really nice. As someone who has discovered a few Ruth gloves along the way I can say I think I know how excited you must be. Enjoy the glove.

Mike
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » January 31st, 2007, 1:14 pm

Thanks not a bad idea. Maybe I should be bow out gracefully like DiMaggio. Being a huge Ruth fan and wanting a G41 as my #1 glove since I started collecting makes this my find of a lifetime.
drasher81

Postby mudman » January 31st, 2007, 1:40 pm

CONGRATS!!!!
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

brings to light

Postby softball66 » January 31st, 2007, 2:05 pm

Another congratulations to the Drasher. The shot was sent to my email and I remembered Halper's Ruth glove from a Smithsonian article.
Now here's the question posed on that Halper Ruth glove. What happened to it? It wasn't auctioned in the famous Sothebys Halper auction a few years ago to my knowledge. And what's it worth now if the Gehrig went for over $300,000??? :?:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » January 31st, 2007, 4:59 pm

Great catch! very nice surprise when you opened the box on that one. vbg

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby drasher81 » February 1st, 2007, 1:02 am

On the Game used Ruth model g41 that resided in the Halper collection. It was part of the large auction. The Photos which I used for comparison are from the auction catalogue. It is amazing to see the items had such small est. values. The actual Ruth gamer was pre auction estimated to fetch 15- 25,000 dollars. I could only image what it would go for on todays market. My personal favorite from the auction was the flask owned by the Bam himself. The description of the item says that it shows signifigant wear from usage.....lol. That is truely the ultimate Ruth item anyone could ever have.
drasher81

well, my faulty memory

Postby softball66 » February 1st, 2007, 10:22 am

You know I didn't remember seeing it in the Sothebys auction and am now wondering why it didn't make as big a big splash like the Gehrig and Mantle gamers that sold in that auction. You would think it would be worth as much as the Gehrig.
Also note the hole in the glove and some of you will recall the gloves we've put on the forum with holes in them. Years ago I saw in Becketts
a shot of Wagner's purported gamer and it had a hole cut in the palm. Now Babe's and we know the story of Babe, likely a big admirer of Wagner, chose the Wagner designed G41 as his gamer and endorsed glove. Now, did he cut a hole in the glove like Wagner did.
Holy Moley!
softball66

Followup

Postby softball66 » February 1st, 2007, 10:39 am

This Ruth glove that I have marked down sold for $96,000 in the Sothebys auction. I'd forgotten that and as I recall may not have remarked on it in my review story in the newsletter. And it went for MUCH LESS than the $239,000 Mantle gamer that Billy Crystal bought and the $350,000 Lou Gehrig mitt purchased by Penny Marshall. Wonder why? :?:
softball66

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures