April 2009 Finds

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

April 2009 Finds

Postby vintagebrett » April 19th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Been kind of slow around here this month but this weekend picked up a little bit. FIrst, I was able to pick up this great old Piper bat locally - it's got great stampings and a nice patina.

Today, I went up to MA to an auction was able to pick up a lot of great baseball stuff. This all came from the estate of Gunnar Holstrom who played at Dartmouth (class of 1930) and then was drafted by the Philadelphia A's. He also played pro ball in the leagues of Massachusetts. Tons of stuff to sort through but I did get his glove - a Bill Doak model H in super condition - Rob M. would love the lining on this one! :) I found one newspaper clipping with Holstrom and Jim Thorpe - I guess they played in the same league at some point. Lots of stuff to look through!

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » April 20th, 2009, 10:29 am

After doing some basic research I've found that one of his Dartmouth teammates was Red Rolfe and his coach was Charles "Jeff" Tesreau who played for the NY Giants before entering the coaching ranks. Now I need to identify which one Rolfe is in the pictures.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mushroomknob » April 20th, 2009, 10:42 am

Brett,Very nice pick up on those Dartmouth photos and glove.By the way thats a nice piper bat.Will you be selling that bat or is it a keeper.

Dave S
mushroomknob
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 21st, 2009, 6:19 pm

Dave S - going to keep the bat for now - someone else has first dibs but I will let you know if they pass.

Two other pick-ups via a local dealer:

Stall & Dean model 8072 Woody English - super leather, super high quality, very nice - already found a new home for this beauty! :)

D&M full web split finger - this is another nice piece in excellent shape. The leather lining is soft and supple - I think it may have been a drab olive color when it was new -there is quite a bit of green pigmentation in the leather. Full size adult model!

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » April 22nd, 2009, 2:25 am

Yep, my eyes went right to that Doak H ... what a beauty! It's one of those many-cool-features gloves ... lighter colored piping, cool tunnel loops, great label(s), and of course that great lining. Great pickup!

The D&M has a really nice look as well ... lucky dog. As for the Stall & Dean, oh boy, the new owner of that one is a real lucky/appreciative guy. More on that one later.
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » April 24th, 2009, 1:35 pm

So I get the glove in the mail today and I love it. It is the lefty twin or bookend to my righty English which is probably my favorite post 20s glove. I don't just love it because of the glove quality, but because Brett and Fred thought of me when they picked it up, and dropped me an email offering it to me at a very reasonable price. I somehow latched onto Stall & Dean gloves early on and I still really get a kick out of picking up new ones. Thanks guys ... I can't tell you how much I really appreciate it!
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 25th, 2009, 6:39 am

Not a problem Rob - glad you are happy with the glove. I'm sure when you beat Ricky and JD down the row at the next flea market and find a sparkling OK/Sonnett or top of the line 1B mitt, we can expect an email. :lol:
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » April 25th, 2009, 9:54 am

Here are some pictures of the Doak I found:

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures