HOLY COW!

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

HOLY COW!

Postby softball66 » January 17th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Not sure if this image will come up after following directions but wanted to show the glove just picked up from the Rangers musuem where the glove's owner took the knife to not only the leather palm but also removed the padding from the crescent external padding on this little glove. Holes in the gloves were more common than thought and we ran an article on this in our newsletter. Wagner, Ruth, Bartell and others cut a hole in their gloves for a better feel for the ball is seems.
Jim Daniel and I have discussed this after we showed him another "holy" 19 teens glove that had the hole reinforced after its owner sliced it up.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby V-Anchored » January 17th, 2007, 9:46 pm

My first year of Little League (1954) I played on a team in Ft. Wayne, Indiana that was coached by the son of Everett Scott (Bosox, Yanks, etc.). The coaches son (Everett's grandson) played on the team also. I remember him showing up at practice one time using a glove that had a hole cut in the palm. This really seemed odd to the rest of us because we wanted all of the padding that we could get! When we asked him about it he said that the old ball players did that so thay could get a better feel for the ball. I always assumed that advice came from his grandpa. Everett Scott came to one of our practices one time and I was introduced to him (a really nice gentleman). At the time, it didn't mean a whole lot to me but I remember MY grandpa being impressed when I told him about meeting him. Of course now I wish I had appreciated it like I should have. Anyway, the picture brings back some good memories. Thanks for sharing it.
V-Anchored
Rookie Glove Poster

Add Mr. Scott's name

Postby softball66 » January 18th, 2007, 9:20 am

That's a wonderful story about Everett and his family touching your life. I grew up playing ball with Monty Sratton's sons in high school and semi-professional ball.
Monty pitched batting practice a couple of times and helped our semi-pro bunch. It's a nice feeling to have met these old timers and their sons.
So now we can join Everett's name to the ranks of holes in the gloves.
I'll try to get a picture of the sewn hole glove that Jim Daniel likes. I think I read the hole in the glove story in one of the old Baseball magazines and ran partial in the newsletter. It seems either Bartell or Durocher got the hole in the idea from Bobby Wallace. I saw a photo many years ago of Wagner's glove in Beckett with a hole in it. Then in an article in the Smithsonian publication on Barry Halper's collection there sat a Babe Ruth gamer with a hole in it. We have speculated that Ruth chose the G41 because that was the D&M glove Wagner helped design and Ruth was a big admirer of Wagner. :P
softball66

Hey, your glove has a hole in it!

Postby softball66 » January 19th, 2007, 9:38 am

Here by popular demand is one of Jim Daniel's faves, a glove with a hole cut in it but reinforced with sewing so that it doesn't tear further.
Ouch! is all I can say. So these glove owners wanted to feel the ball hit their palm. Tough guys.
Jim and I got a big kick out of this when we looked it over. If you notice the crescent above also has some sewing on the crescent after he padding was removed. :roll:
softball66

Postby V-Anchored » January 20th, 2007, 8:54 pm

It's kind of funny how we've gone from little gloves with holes cut in the pocket to today's outfielders with big gloves and jamming all their fingers in the last two glove fingers and uisng them like Jai-Alai baskets to catch fly balls. They certainly don't want a better feel of the ball!
V-Anchored
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » January 21st, 2007, 1:45 am

boy, those pre-war gloves (miniature by today's standards) and the guys who wore them were real men.

i wear a batting glove w/the gel padding on some of my older gloves so that i DON'T feel the ball and my sissy hands don't have the bone bruise on the index finger :lol:

i have a mizuno GOC-5 that's a jai-alai basket! i can't run down fly balls like i used to :(
spedrunr

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures