This is the start of a problem

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

This is the start of a problem

Postby jsalinas » November 23rd, 2008, 8:31 pm

My wife and I decided to help kick start the economy by going antique shopping in a Boerne, TX.

Every time we entered a store I would scan for "old" gloves. I think I might have a problem.

I came across a nice Rawlings model. It had some writing in marker. Now I'm looking for a way to get rid of it or at least get it to a point where it's not as noticeable.

Thanks.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

hmmmmm

Postby Cowboy7130 » November 25th, 2008, 1:30 am

*re-reading carefully, searching diligently for the problem*

Hey, looking for gloves sounds like NO PROBLEM to me! :lol:

As far as removing markings on a glove .... ooooh .... that is a tough one.
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » November 25th, 2008, 7:40 am

Go to search and type in INK REMOVAL :D
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » November 25th, 2008, 5:09 pm

One step ahead of you on the search. Thanks.

I came across a Rawlings PG38 model that has a few years left on it. I wanted to remove the ink and condition it and maybe give it to a kid that could use it.

Some knuckle head took a marker to the glove big time. We'll see what kind of results I can get. Thanks.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » November 25th, 2008, 5:20 pm

This is a constant issue with used gloves. When I was growing up, my Dad always told me to make sure my name was on the glove, just in case it got lost or mixed up with another that looked just like it. When I got to be a Dad myself, I told my two boys exactly the same thing. So I must confess to being one of those "knuckleheads" to which you're referring. Way back when, I had no idea that there was such a thing as "collectible" and/or vintage gloves. Who knew? Now that I'm older and much better informed, I find myself cursing the very same issue. I guess in some circles, it might make some gloves more collectible. Having said that, I do know that as long as their are Moms and Dads in this world that spend small fortunes on sports equipment (of any kind) for their children, you can be certain that the player's names will be written on them. I truly wish that there was an easy and simple way to remove them, but permanent marker is just that, permanent. Once it gets into the fibers of the leather, it's there to stay.

br
wjr953

Postby awarsoca » November 25th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Its killing me because my 8 year old really ought to have his name on his glove (just in case) but I just cant bring myself to do it. It's a good thing he's the only one out there with a I web Nokona and a old single post Mizuno (c;
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby yankees23 » November 25th, 2008, 8:36 pm

I understand the putting the name on the glove but does it have to be so darn big and on the leather itself? Why can't the names or initials be in a hidden place like under the wrist area? When my son put his name on his glove we put it on the Rawlings Patch. When I gave that glove to a neighbor who was younger than my son and my son moved up to a slighlty bigger model I just took the Sharpie out again and blacked out his name on the patch. No damage to the leather and if someone really wanted to they could have the patch changed which would be easier than trying to get the ink out of the leather poors.
yankees23
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » December 6th, 2008, 12:59 pm

I have little time to work on the ink removal. Work has been a little busy as of late.

I tried a Mr. Clean Power Pad, it worked pretty well but it ate up the sponge like no ones business. Those things are not cheap.

I don't have a ultra fine grit sandpaper. I need to get to the hardware store.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby LincySchmidt17 » December 9th, 2008, 2:19 am

i used a gold paint pen on my Black Mizuno GCP61, and after about two years it is starting to fade away. you could probably even chip and remove most of the markings if you actually spent some time on it. im not sure how a paint pen would work with a lighter colored glove, but it's just a suggestion.
LincySchmidt17
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » December 9th, 2008, 5:45 pm

I have half of it off so far using fine grit sandpaper and a light touch. Not sure the number rating of the paper. I'm using something discarded from my friends work.

Looking good so far.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » January 15th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Well, like on other posts, there was a good amount of success in taking the writing off of it.

I'd say I removed 98% of the ink. Some spots were just too deep into the leather. I did not feel comfortable in going that deep with the sandpaper.

What's there I'll let blend in with use and future conditioning.

I don't understand why they would write so much on this small glove. They had their name, street address, state, zip code and phone number in letters about half inch high in size. Why? One of the markers used was a silver paint type (that was the 2% left).

It looks very good. On to the next glove.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » April 2nd, 2009, 9:25 pm

Just finished my next glove. I need to get me a camera to post pictures (and maybe find people to buy the reconditioned gloves to generate money for new purchases :wink: ).
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » April 8th, 2009, 10:11 pm

I sold my first full "restoration" glove. I'll pick up two or three good deals and work on them.

I'm hooked.
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » April 8th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Yes. Yes. We have another one. Everything is proceeding according to our plans.

<< Fade to evil laughter in background >>
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jsalinas » April 9th, 2009, 5:23 pm

candlestick wrote:Yes. Yes. We have another one. Everything is proceeding according to our plans.

<< Fade to evil laughter in background >>

This made me laugh out loud.

On a day like today...it was needed. Thanks. :D
jsalinas
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures