A Nice Surprise

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

A Nice Surprise

Postby drasher81 » October 30th, 2006, 12:13 pm

About 2 weeks ago I bid on a catchers mitt that looked to be in very nice condition from the dark grainy photos used for the auction on ebay. It was one of those well things that you bid on but your not 100% sure what your going to end up getting. The glove looked like it had alot of silver left in it and boy did it ever. When I unboxed it I was pleased to see a nice Reach Al Lopez model mitt. It is certainly not top of the line, but it is in great shape for some cracking from age and poor quality leather. I wonder if it ever even saw any field time? Anyway I got a really nice display glove because of its conditon and certainly didnt break the bank to get it. Sometimes you still can get lucky on Ebay, it just happens much more infrequently as of late.
drasher81

Postby vintagebrett » October 30th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Had a similar experience last week when a Sonnett glove I bought - a Bob Grimm - arrived in the mail. Lacing was broken but after taking care of that, I have a beautiful glove!

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby MVALZ » October 30th, 2006, 5:53 pm

Very nice guys! Brett, you pick up those vintage looking dark laces from Tanners? -Mark
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » October 30th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Mark, those laces come from Triple C Leather Co. I believe - you'll have to ask my dad to clarify but I'm pretty sure that is where he gets them.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » October 31st, 2006, 2:39 pm

Tanner's carries some beautiful laces at great prices. Unfortunately, they don't carry anything that looks like the ones on the Sonnett glove above.

Their dark brown laces, while of the highest quality and totally suitable for any high-end modern glove, are dyed-through and don't have that great vintage look. I wish they did, because I could easily go through a couple dozen right away!

I've got to get in touch with Triple-C one of these days...
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures