Auction Buys - A2000 / Maz Personal Model

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Auction Buys - A2000 / Maz Personal Model

Postby vintagebrett » July 18th, 2008, 8:21 am

Picked these two high quality gloves up in an auction. The MacGregor model GS2 Bill Mazeroski personal model is just an awesome glove. When I got it, there was a very think layer of dirt covering the glove. However, this must have been the same stuff women put on their faces because it preserved the leather beautifully. The dirt and grime came off very easily and I was left with this gorgeous glove. Looks like it was made for only a couple of years in the mid 1960's.

Second one is a Wilson A2000. I've seen pictures of ones with this type of web but never had one on my hand. This glove has one of the deepest pockets I've seen on a glove. It was super dried out when it arrived so it's in the process of getting a second life - it is enjoying the lanolin I've fed it. No indication on this one whether it's and L, XL, etc. Only identifying mark is the 1262 near the W tag. Any thoughts or knowledge to share with me about this modern guys? Thanks

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Chicago Red Sox Fan » July 18th, 2008, 9:33 am

Brett

Pretty cool gloves. I have a 1262 but it has a Triple Lock Web, not the single post web. Very unusual pocket on mine as well, nothing like the modern gloves.

In comparing the 2 gloves, they are pretty similar aside from the web. Is it possible yours was retro-fitted at some point in the past? There is a an extra lace hole on the pocket side of yours and I'm not sure but I thought the criss-crossed lace pattern across the top of the web came in later.

Maybe Mike W can provide some insight? I think he has more Wilsons than anyone.

John
Chicago Red Sox Fan
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » July 18th, 2008, 9:57 am

I did wonder about the web because of those extra two holes. No idea.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Cowboy7130 » July 18th, 2008, 3:53 pm

I have opened a retirement home for misfit gloves - gloves with webs that don't look just right, gloves from really good but underappreciated players, etc. Both these gloves qualify, so if you will just box them up and send them to me, Brett, I will make sure they have a nice life here! :? :lol:

I never find good stuff like that ... all I find is junk! :?
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mrh64 » July 18th, 2008, 9:49 pm

My A2002 has that same web and its an XLO. Got it for my birthday in the mid 70's
mrh64
Veteran Glove Poster

thought

Postby softball66 » July 21st, 2008, 6:52 am

I think the 1262 stamped # on the outside thumb indicates pro stock glove so Wilson was making modifications on these level A2 gloves. Might be an early single-post attempt from Wilson.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glorydays » August 27th, 2008, 10:34 pm

great gloves. I wish i was in the same circles as you guys...
-Junior
glorydays
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby oldreliable » August 28th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Hello vintagebrett,

Hey, that A2 1262 is speaking my language! What is the length of it? 12"? 12.5"? I have an A2000 XLO with the same single-post web. Your 1262 looks smaller or shorter than the XLO I have.

Thanks,

John,
Ithaca, NY
oldreliable
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures