thrift store find; need opinions...

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

thrift store find; need opinions...

Postby rmiller » July 3rd, 2008, 12:22 am

Rawlings HOH TTP. I found this at a thrift store for a buck. There are some lace issues in the fingers, you can see. Lace has been changed to thicker lace in the fingers. Also, lace on inside of pinky wraps around the pinky, then through the back. Piping issues as well.

Bummer that the patch is missing. I have tried to find the year on the internet, but have been unsuccessful. It feels really nice on the hand. Clearly there are some things to take care of with this glove, but I assume for a buck it was a decent find. I just wanted to consult all you experts out there before I do anything.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions? What would you do, if anything? :?: :?:

Photos on link below:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jeheanahee/HOH
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » July 3rd, 2008, 12:48 am

Great deal for a buck - hell, i just tipped the waitress 10 bucks at dinner tonight!

The lacing at the fingers looks like it should be an X on the last two fingers... easy fix. The piping could be replaced... How is the inside palm? Fun glove to fix up and play catch with!
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby h2o-x » July 3rd, 2008, 1:02 am

rmiller,
That's a beauty! I need to frequent different thrift stores. A few hundred miles west of you there aren't gloves like that to be found, especially for a buck! Congratuations on your rescue.
-Keith
h2o-x
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » July 3rd, 2008, 1:14 am

Yeah, easy enough fix on the fingers.- I'm just wondering about the width and color of lace. I have plenty of Tanners 3/16". That's all I have. I will get a picture of the inside palm up tomorrow. It's pretty worn down, but fully intact. Thumb and pinky loops are fine.

I know Kenny did some similar to this- At the momnet, I just don't have the money for a full restoration project. I'm assuming it would be pretty pricey. Should I hold off, save up to get it fully restored? Is it worth it? Or should I just throw some lace in it? Should I get some aged, thinner lace?

Anybody ever replaced a patch? What's the process on that? Get the patch, take it to a shoe repair place to sew on?? :?:

Lots of questions.
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

If it were MY glove ...

Postby Cowboy7130 » July 3rd, 2008, 12:18 pm

If it were my glove .... (and it could be - just say the word and I will send you TWO dollars for it!! :lol: )

1. Replace the lacing yourself. Use as close to the vintage lacing as you can get.
2. Condition it according to your best practices - Lexol, Lexol-NF, pure lanolin, Vaseline, whatever ... give the old leather a good going over!
3. Play lots and lots of catch with it, pitch batting practice to your son's summer league team while wearing it, show it off to all the kids who don't know the history of gloves, and enjoy being a minor celebrity for a few weeks because of your really cool old glove.
4. Try the new patch at the shoemaker shop idea. It will make a world of difference to the appearance of the glove to have the patch back on the strap.
5. After a few seasons of baseball, after you realize what a great glove it is, and after you save your Coke machine money for a few months, make arrangements to send it to Kenny Jenkins. It will be worth it!

I think it is a unique glove. I don't see many of those T-traps; they would seem to be kind of the bridge between the Trap-Eze and the Modified Trap that I think so much of. So to me, I bet that glove has some historical significance.

Anyway, just my two cents' worth, but like I said, I can make it TWO DOLLARS!! :lol:
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » July 3rd, 2008, 12:24 pm

Thanks Cowboy....that's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking of doing.

Two quick questions:

Do you (or anyone) know an approximate of age of this glove?

How much Coke machine money should I plan on saving to have it professionally done at some point?

I'll take your $2 offer under consideration :lol:
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mudman » July 6th, 2008, 1:38 am

Great find first of all. I am thinking a complete rebuild by KJ would run about $125 or so. This glove was made in the early to mid 60's
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures