RBG36 on a fence

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

RBG36 on a fence

Postby Thudhugger » June 16th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Went with my daughter for a walk this morning. We passed by a city baseball park and stuck on the outfield fence was this nice Dale Murphy RBG36!
The glove had met the sprinklers over the weekend because the insides are still damp, and the palm shows some water stains (nothing major). The insides are shot. It will need to be replaced and the right wrist adjuster strap is gone, but other than that It's a real nice adult RBG 36. And the price was just right!!

Thud
Thudhugger
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Moonlight Graham » June 17th, 2008, 5:32 pm

Nice find! How do you plan to replace the insides of this glove? Are you going to ask a professional to do it for you or are you going to try to do it yourself?

I'd like to know if anybody here has ever done that before. I have a couple of gloves that need such desperate treatment and unfortunately there's no one around to do the job for me. So it's only me and my gloves. Any clue or advice on how this can be done?
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Thudhugger » June 17th, 2008, 9:57 pm

I just got an email back from Kenny Jenkins who is the preeminent Rawlings restorer and for what the glove needs to have it professionally done it would cost $120 to replace the insides and another $30 to repair the wrist adjuster. So for this glove It isn't cost effective to have it repaired. But I can always use it as a parts glove.

Thud
Thudhugger
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » July 14th, 2008, 11:33 am

A friend asked me if I could put some new lace in a glove he had. I said sure, he brought it over. I thought, “hey, that’s the Dale Murphy RBG 36 Thudhugger found on a fence!” I thought that was kind of cool.

The guy is in his mid-thirties, and he got the glove in the early 80’s, and still uses it. He has done several rig jobs over the years to keep the glove together, and it was neat to see his reaction to the completed project, as it always is.

Before & afters on link below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeheanahee/ ... terJMGlove
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Thudhugger » July 17th, 2008, 1:50 am

Well, I finally have internet again, finished the move to Sheridan Wyo. You wouldn't recognize the above glove on a fence, I've gutted the whole insides and when I can afford it I'm gonna ship it off to have Kenny Jenkins customize it. I even removed the plastic piping and I'm gonna get him to repipe it in leather. It isn't a very valuable glove but hey if your gonna have it totally restored you might as well go all the way.

By the way awesome relace job.

p.s. You asked about thrift stores in Poky...there is only Deseret Industries on Roosevelt St. and the Goodwill on Yellowstone. I've never found anything at Goodwill, but I got my old A2000 at the D.I. one friday afternoon so if your looking I'd try there. Come to think of it, I got my Hank Aaron personal model at the IF D.I., hmmm coincidence?

Thud
Thudhugger
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » July 17th, 2008, 2:23 am

any pix of the HA PM?
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » July 17th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Thanks Thud- Hope all is going well. I was just in Wyoming last week on the way to Colorado.

I would love to see pictures when you get it back from Kenny. I am considering sending my TTP to him for a total refurb, but I am having trouble deciding what to do, and if it's worth doing for trade value for old catchers mitts- About $150 for a total. :?

Thanks for the info on Poky thrift stores. I hit the D.I. in IF a few times a week, as I go right by there on my home from work.
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures