MacGregor ID

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

MacGregor ID

Postby candlestick » April 9th, 2008, 9:03 am

Long time reader - first time poster. Stopped by PIAS and cruised the used glove section and brought home a MacGregor G80K. Am I correct in assuming that the "K" stands for kangaroo leather? It sure looks and feels like the kangaroo leather boots that Cabela's sells. I have my fingers crossed. BTW we received 24" of SNOW over the weekend up here in northern Minnesota. I am pretty depressed so any good news will help!
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » April 9th, 2008, 10:22 am

Kind of hard to tell, sight unseen. You can definitely feel and see the difference between a kangaroo glove and one made of cowhide.

The suppleness and light weight of kangaroo were selling points and those gloves would retail at a premium price. There would likely be some stampings on such a glove touting the kangaroo leather.

MacGregor did produce quite a few kangaroo leather gloves in the 60's and 70's, many of which had the letter "K" in their model number. They did, however, produce quite a few gloves with the letter "K" in the model number that definitely were not kangaroo.

I couldn't find your model in the old MacGregor catalogs, but did find a G80R and G80B in their mid-1970's offerings. Having owned a few Mac's from that era, I'm willing to bet that was a "Red" or "Black" leather version of the same pattern glove.

Not a definite answer on the kangaroo, but I hope it helps some!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures