Nokona J110 Chris Van Cuyk

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Nokona J110 Chris Van Cuyk

Postby Thudhugger » April 2nd, 2008, 6:48 pm

My wife just returned from a visit to the grandson in Provo, Ut. and brought me back this small Nokona glove. The leather is really nice, the palm shows normal checking but it doesn't have any holes. The only damage is the fingers which were modified for a connecting lace (broken shoelace). I doubt that it was designed for joined fingers because the holes are inconsistent in their location on the fingers and I doubt that Nokona would let it leave their factory in that condition.
The Player Chris Van Cuyk is unknown to me except what I could find when I googled his name. Lefty pitcher for Brooklyn - first season was 1950, last season 1952. Overall its a nice junior size glove, it will look better cleaned and oiled. If anyone has any other info about it (or if your interested in acquiring it) let me know.

Cheers
Thud
Thudhugger
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » April 2nd, 2008, 8:20 pm

The glove does appear in the 1950 catalog data. Retailing for $7.80, when the top-line gloves sold for around $20, it was apparently, as you guessed, a junior-sized model.

The body of the glove- split-fingers and all- looks almost identical to a kid-sized Nokona G10 "Chico Carrasquel" model I had. The only difference was the web. The G10 had two tunnel-loops, reminisent of a typical 1930's design.

Now, a question about the Nokona catalog data in the Catalog Source Book. The early 50's Nokona catalog is noted as "Jobber" and some of their gloves from that era had the letter "J" designation in their model number.

Generally, these "J-series" gloves seem less well-made that their usual "G-series" gloves. My assumption has been that "Jobber" refers to gloves sold through retail outlets other than conventional sporting goods stores.

Is that a correct assumption?
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures