Cool and Rare Buckle Back Glove

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Cool and Rare Buckle Back Glove

Postby vintagebrett » February 22nd, 2008, 9:33 am

Picked this one up yesterday - it is a Bet-R-Built Babcock, Hinds & Underwood model G425X Merrill May buckle back glove. The buckle is super neat - it's not really a buckle - take a look at the pictures. I've never seen this manufacturer before. I've seen Merrill May on Rawlings gloves and the model # would seem to indicate that they had something to do with this glove. It is very well made and in good shape. Anyone seen a glove like this or this manufacturer? I did a little research online and found that they were a hardware store in New York state. I guess it's likely that Rawlings made the glove for them, although the back throws me for a loop because I haven't seen a Rawlings like this.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby nygiants » February 22nd, 2008, 9:57 am

I do not want to sound stupid here ( sometimes it just comes natural) but how would you put your hand in the glove?
nygiants
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 22nd, 2008, 10:34 am

Your hand still goes in the same way as a normal glove - the wrist strap is there instead of a buckle - there is an entrance below as usual. The small piece in the middle isn't connected to the lining - it has some wool on it to keep the back of your hand padded.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » February 22nd, 2008, 10:41 am

I posted a picture back awhile ago of a buckle-back glove with the same sort of pad attached to the wrist strap.

See the photo here: Glove With Wrist Pad
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Bonus points!

Postby Cowboy7130 » February 22nd, 2008, 12:09 pm

And it's really fun to say! Bonus points for the alliteration!

"Bet-R-Built Babcock Buckleback, Bet-R-Built Babcockleback, ... Bet-R-Burr ... Built ... Babcock ... Buckleback, Bet-R-Built Babcock Buckleback ..."

OK ... YOU try to say it three times fast! :lol:
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Cool and Rare Buckle Back Glove

Postby mikesglove » August 30th, 2011, 2:54 am

here is a 1938 catalog page from Babcock, Hinds, Underwood with some Rawlings and Bet-R-Bilt gloves. I also think they were made by Rawlings for the hardware chain. The wrist strap is pretty cool on your glove. I owned a 1940's Rawlings "Bill Brubaker" model with the same arrangement.
38raw.jpg
bbrubaker1xa.JPG
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures