Sonnett Surprise

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Sonnett Surprise

Postby burker72 » February 18th, 2008, 4:41 pm

Brett,

The 3-finger G3F model was quite a bargain, but I think I might have you beat this week - of course, it is just dumb luck.

I picked up a Sonnett that was sold with little information for about $9.50 and another $9.82 (?) for shipping and handling. I received it on Saturday and started to clean it today. Probably like your G3F there was surface dirt, some stiffness, broken laces, but otherwise a glove that is in very good shape - I'm happy to report the lining on this one is perfect. Low and behold, the surface cleaning revealed an Al Kaline "AK" model. What a great surprise. When I'm done cleaning I'll post pics. I've got high hopes for this one. Here it is in "as is" condition...

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » February 18th, 2008, 6:12 pm

I was the only other bidder on that auction. This glove struck me as being in pretty good shape- underneath the layer of grime and dirt. Bet it looks great cleaned up and relaced.

It was also obvious that this was a high-end model, as evidenced by the webbing. It looks like a Sonnett version of the Wilson near top-of-the-line Kaline gloves.

A definite bargain in my book. Kind of disappointed that I didn't persue it further- but then we both might have jacked up the price!
Last edited by BretMan on February 19th, 2008, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 18th, 2008, 8:39 pm

Congrats - the AK model is a great glove - I have two right now and just had sold a 3rd I didn't need.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures