Christmas Present

Share your antique show, flea market, garage sale, dumpster dive finds in this section. Post pictures of your most recent additions.

Christmas Present

Postby vintagebrett » December 28th, 2007, 4:24 am

I got one of the best glove presents for Christmas ever. When my dad first started collecting gloves many years ago he used to put adds in the local newspapers that he was looking to buy gloves. One of the trips we made to the to very northwest corner of CT took us to this really neat house and a guy with two great gloves - a Ken-Wel Vance and a Victor-Wright-Ditson white 1" web glove. I totally adored the white leather glove until the day my dad traded it to glove collector Doug Wolk for a Goldsmith Charlie Gehringer. I've never let my dad forget that I loved that glove and would love to get it back someday. I've told Doug that many times as well. Well, lo and behold, guess what was under the tree for me yesterday. Yep! Isn't it gorgeous!

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby stockbuddy » December 28th, 2007, 9:19 am

WOW!!! That is a beauty. That is a very nice Christmas present from your Dad. I am sure because it came from your Dad it has all the more meaning.
:D :D
Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » December 28th, 2007, 1:07 pm

Now that's a Christmas present! Truly a beautiful glove. I'm sure there's not a poster here who wouldn't mind finding that one under the tree!

Only one glove from Santa for me this year. My wife bought a lot on eBay that included a 40's vintage uniform, a framed 8 X 10 photo of the team that wore the uniform and one old glove. The glove was a mid-sized split-finger model- nothing too special. A couple of pluses- the endorsement on the glove is that of Hall-of-Famer Luke Appling and the glove is an "Ohio-Kentucky" model. By pure chance, I managed to add another "OK" to my collection- and that's a good thing!

The coolest item I got for Christmas wasn't baseball-related at all, but something that some of the guys on this forum might have a soft spot for.

It was Christmas forty years ago when I received one of the greatest presents a kid can get- a new bike. And not just any bike, but a shiny new Schwinn Sting-Ray! Talk about cool!

After a few years of use and abuse, the bike was permanently parked in my parents garage. There it sat for 35 years, rusting away and forgotten.

Last summer my brother was remodeling my mother's garage and, unknown to me, rescued the forgotten bike. He took it to a guy that restores bikes and it got the full treatment- repainted, new bannana seat, all the chrome blasted and polished and all new Schwinn decals and logos.

Imagine my surprise as he rolled it into the house and presented it to me on Christmas day, as shiny and new as I'd always remembered it!

And, yes, I immediately took it for a ride down the street, just like I did forty years ago.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » December 28th, 2007, 2:39 pm

... now THAT was cool ...
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Studboy » December 28th, 2007, 3:05 pm

Isn't it great what guilt can turn out sometimes. Gotta love dads, baseball & their boys
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Today I Found... / Vintage Glove Pictures