Any thoughts...

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Wilson Did

Postby softball66 » September 18th, 2007, 1:03 am

Wilson did make many, if not most of the Sears Higgins gloves and could have used a triple lock web in the glove and it COULD be a genuine Higgins glove. I'm just saying I've not seen a Higgins glove with an exclusive shooting star nor would I think Wilson would loan its prestige marking to Sears.
in my 20 years of viewing gloves. If anyone else has pulled on up that will help validify this one. I've also never seen a Rawlings/Bailey DiMaggio signature glove. Maybe someone else in our hobby or on the forum has. Again maybe so but our friend in Hobart made some 40 false signature gloves that many in our hobby know about because we sold him blank gloves before he created the fakes. And he also made fake Decal bats. I guess we can start drawing some assumptions. If anyone would like to read about about this scandal, they can contact me at glovecollector@tx.rr.com
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby dwknowles » September 18th, 2007, 11:04 am

what I noticed, is that while his stampings look pretty good (They often look pretty good, the only real tell tale sign is that the markings don't fit the glove maker/model in question) His patch work didn't look good on the Rawlings he had online the other day. It looked pretty out of sorts. The bad part is he is ruining some decent gloves. That Rawlings mitt was a nice little glove before he put Dimaggio on it.
dwknowles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » September 18th, 2007, 12:32 pm

I got to see some of the doctored gloves first hand and I can tell you there were a bunch of really nice gloves ruined. I remember a nice Sonnett Lightning, a Rawlings All-Star glove and Wilson with a number and then X at the end. All well made gloves that never had endorsements, ruined because someone wanted to make a couple extra bucks. Sad thing is, the gloves were probably more valuable without the endorsements
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Nice reply

Postby softball66 » September 20th, 2007, 5:49 pm

I received this reply from the J. C. Higgins shooting star glove after warning him about the situation there in Hobart, Indiana with the fake gloves.
"I'm not an expert, but i'm sure you are not aware of every mitt out
there. If you were, you would be giving me a real reason why this is
fake. I would be careful about your comments if I were you. It's
called slander and action can be taken. You accusations will be
forwarded. Good day"
:roll:
softball66

Postby worldwin » September 20th, 2007, 6:21 pm

Oh boy...this is too much!

The person selling this glove is obviously not an expert...just look at what they sell...anything under the sun!

Probably just some person running an "antique" store, pawn shop, etc. who hasn't a clue about anything they sell...but are happy to sell it in order to make some money. Actually that doesn't sound like a bad idea...but I digress...

As for slander...what's up with that?

Sounds like someone is a bit paranoid!

Let us know how this one turns out...inquiring minds want to know!
worldwin
Rookie Glove Poster

latest news!

Postby softball66 » September 22nd, 2007, 4:02 pm

Ron Chaix, our longtime dealer in California, just emailed me that he'd bought the Joe DiMaggio stamped Rawlings first baseman mitt from Hobart, Indiana ebay seller and was very curious about what it was.
I've emailed him back on the background of this mitt. First time that we'd seen a Joe DiMaggio Rawlings mitt of any kind and that the seller was from the same home town of glove forger practioner.
Haven't heard back yet! :roll:
softball66

Postby dwknowles » October 16th, 2007, 11:16 am

Joe, did you ever hear from the buyer? Just was wondering how this turned out, and has anyone else seen any more gloves that fit the "beware" mold.
dwknowles
Veteran Glove Poster

Have not heard back

Postby softball66 » October 16th, 2007, 11:31 am

I've not heard back from the Hobart seller but the Dimaggio gloves looks EXACTLY like Stump's work, the little flakes of silver that he puts in there afer he's stamped it to make it look like a silver stamped glove that's faded a bit. I've kept one of Stump's gloves here. Anyone who wants my SCD story and pictures or photocopies of my newsletter story, I'll be glad to send them to you.
It's a shame this Hobart man is continuing his work and still cheating people. And that his dupe doesn't seem to care. He does try at times to get others involved in his scheme. I asked the buyer of over 30 of his fraudulent gloves to pursue mail fraud charges against him. He chose not to. But it ran a nice man out of the hobby. He sold off his collection.
Wonder if Fred ever had the seller get back to him? :evil:
softball66

Postby crackofthebat » October 19th, 2007, 4:01 pm

No, the seller never got back to me about the glove. Just to add a little more controversy to the mix, I think that DiMaggio glove was one that Dick bought off me years ago. He said he had a friend who was looking for a WW2 vintage 1B mitt. I haven't been able to put my fingers on the picture I had taken of it, but I'm 99% sure it is the same glove. No, it did not have a DiMaggio signature on it when I sold it.
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 19th, 2007, 5:36 pm

As an odd footnote to this tale...

I've mentioned in the past that people have confused me with our esteemed moderator "Vintagebrett". That's understandable, since we both have the same first name, and not such a bad thing.

Now, I have received several emails mistaking me for the "Mister Stump" being discussed here! Again, the confusion seems to stem from our similar names- the last name in this case, which are spelled nearly identical. Mine retains the historically Germanic spelling of "Stumpf".

Just for the record: I am in no way related to or affiliated with, nor have I ever met or dealt with the "Dick Stump" being mentioned in these posts!
BretMan

Postby ebbets55 » May 3rd, 2009, 1:35 pm

Joe sent me this Dick Stump masterpiece to share with you all. Although it might be hard to tell in the pics, this one has definitely been touched up with a Sharpie or paint pen. I had a Sam Esposito glove and this was his endorsement but it looks drawn. There are traces of the original silver in the Autograph Model stampings and those are a faded gray where the touch-up is clearly a more or cleaner brighter silver. There's a stark difference in color.

Although it's possible he did some great work, this is clearly not one of them. There's no way this one could have been mistaken for original silver. Why would someone touch up everything but the 1047 model number. It doesn't make sense.

Wish we had more exemplars.

JD

ebbets55

hope that all scam artists end up in a nasty corner of Hell!

Postby okdoak » May 3rd, 2009, 3:32 pm

Yeah, that's pretty shoddy work. Think that most of us who have had gloves with the signature in the pocket would have heard alarm bells right away. Would be alot more plausible if the touch up was done just to parts of the glove that didn't obviously receive the the most wear. Just shows the disdain that this d-bag has toward collectors. Anyone remember a Ken-Wel Bucky Harris that had the silver "enhanced" years ago on ebay? I think Joe had a follow up on that one in TGC as well. I can't remember if that was the work of this same p.o.s. :evil:
okdoak

Postby english baseball nut » May 3rd, 2009, 4:54 pm

hmm do you reckon the guy is a membr of this forum ?
minnesota twins all the way
english baseball nut
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 3rd, 2009, 7:14 pm

He could as well be reading but no one in glove land has heard from him since this problem came to light a couple years ago.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: Wilson Did

Postby mikesglove » August 28th, 2013, 4:12 pm

softball66 wrote:Wilson did make many, if not most of the Sears Higgins gloves and could have used a triple lock web in the glove and it COULD be a genuine Higgins glove. I'm just saying I've not seen a Higgins glove with an exclusive shooting star nor would I think Wilson would loan its prestige marking to Sears.
in my 20 years of viewing gloves. If anyone else has pulled on up that will help validify this one.

Higgins model 1629. Full barrel triple lock, spiral top web, U-shaped heel and finger loop on the back. May be circa 1963. All original lacing and a real beauty with little wear.

mikesglove

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion