Any thoughts...

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Any thoughts...

Postby vintagebrett » September 13th, 2007, 8:41 am

... on this auction item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130152492213&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

Seems odd that a script DiMaggio signature would show up on a Rawlings 1B mitt. I wish the picture was a little better. Plus, the location of the item might set alarm bells off to some glove collectors. Any thoughts? I'm not saying this glove is fake by any means but does anyone have documentation of a DiMaggio Rawlings mitt? I'll have to look through my source book when I get home but I don't remember ever seeing one.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Studboy » September 13th, 2007, 9:02 am

I bid on that lot a few days ago out of curiousity, I highly doubt I get the lot for what I bid, but who you never know. I didn't see anything in the source book & havn't asked the seller any questions, It may say Dimaggio via some 12 year olds pocket knife for all I know. Interesting item !
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Say it ain't so Joe

Postby softball66 » September 13th, 2007, 10:59 am

Well we learn something new everyday in our glove hobby.
My thoughts. Could this be Joe Hauser who was on the Rawlings mitts in 1930? Joe was very careful about his endorsements and staying with Spalding/Reach. Brother Vince was Hutch endorser and recall that Hutch took off his first name after he left baseball and put out a DiMaggio signature glove (Vince's signature) and it has and was mistaken for a Joe D. glove. I have a James Bailey catalog somewhere and I'll check it out.
Has anyone emailed the seller, who says he welcomes questions??
Funny he's turned the mitt on it's back for the picture with no shot of the front and the "signature" of Joe.
Now, I've never heard of a Joe Dimaggio Rawlings 1b mitt in my few years in the hobby. We'll see.
:?: :?: :?: :shock:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » September 13th, 2007, 11:09 am

I asked the seller if it would be possible to get a better picture of the stampings and also inquired if there was a model number on the glove. It looks to be a very well made glove. I will post if I receive a response.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » September 13th, 2007, 11:42 am

The kind gentleman running the auction was quick to respond and sent me some pics. Here is one of the signature:

Looks pretty good to me. I'm going to ask him if he has any history about the mitt.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re Brett

Postby Bravosin99 » September 17th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Brett in your first comment you said the location of the items may set off alarm bells....What did you mean by this??? Maybe I am just dumb and don't understand.....The location is quite near to where I live....Just wondering.....
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Postby dwknowles » September 17th, 2007, 3:29 pm

well if you look at the other glove he has on e-bay right now, The Rawlings Patch looks a little off as well. It looks really new with no mention of a replacement Patch. It also looks raised. Dunno what to think about him. I am also interested in the Area question, was that an area of interest in one of Joe's articles about some altered gloves?
dwknowles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » September 17th, 2007, 4:03 pm

The location, Hobart, IN was home to a glove collector who was found to have falsely imprinted gloves with player endorsements.

My dad had an ongoing conversation with the gentleman selling the glove (on consignment) because he believes it was glove he had traded/sold to the gentleman who was doctoring gloves, years ago. The seller said he would get back to my dad but hasn't yet.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

re brett

Postby Bravosin99 » September 17th, 2007, 4:21 pm

:shock: wow thanks for the info....that is a town pretty near us....luckly our collection is based more upon older gloves and not player endorsed gloves or I would be a little more worried....Has the glove on consignment and hasn't gotten back to him with little time left sounds a little fishy to me :wink:
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

ALERT ALERT ALERT!!!!!!

Postby softball66 » September 17th, 2007, 5:40 pm

IF I COULD SET BELLS OFF I WOULD!!!! THE SELLER OF THIS GLOVE IS IN HOBART, IN, HOMETOWN OF DICK STUMP WHO CREATED THE BOGUS GLOVES THAT WE EXPOSED IN OUR GLOVE COLLECTOR NEWSLETTER. JOE DIMAGGIO NEVER ENDORSED ON ANY GLOVE EXCEPT SPALDING AND REACH AND STATED SO SEVERAL TIMES. I WOULD BE HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS OF ANY GLOVE THIS DEALER IS SELLING! I'VE EMAILED HIM TO LET HIM KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING AND WHO HE MAY BE DEALING WITH!!
ANYONE ON THE FORUM DESIRING INFORMATION ON THESE FRAUDS MAY CONTACT ME FOR A COPY OF THE STORY. THE GLOVE COLLECTOR, 14057 ROLLING HILLS LANE, DALLAS, TEXAS 75240 3807.
SORRY BRETT BUT I HADN'T BEEN KEEPING UP WITH THIS WHEN I SAW ANOTHER SUSPICIOUS GLOVE. THIS IS REALLY UPSETTING!!!
softball66

GET THE WORD OUT!

Postby softball66 » September 17th, 2007, 6:42 pm

I just pulled up another glove this Hobart ebayer was selling. It's a J. C. Higgins with the Wilson shooting star (A2000 insignia of the 1950s-60s) in the palm. I've seen hundreds of Higgins gloves and none with a Wilson Shooting star. I think our man is trying to slip another one in on us.
BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE! :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:
softball66

Postby jackwhale » September 17th, 2007, 7:08 pm

one hour left on the ebay auction and the dimaggio is selling for $22. and the higgins is selling for $75. If they are fraudulent, it seems like a lot of work for very little money.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Big money not the object

Postby softball66 » September 17th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Our forgery man is not interested in the big "kill" for big money on any one sale. His past M.O. has been to dole them out, not big names, just rare relative average player gloves. He ran one nice glove guy right out of our hobby by peddling over 30 bogus gloves to him. I've seen the gloves and have written detailed articles on how to define these.
He doesn't mind the work, rather, I think, he enjoys it.
Caveat emtor. :roll:
softball66

Postby spedrunr » September 17th, 2007, 11:10 pm

that JC glove is wild! if he was able to transfer the shooting star, "Major League" and the matching colored triple lock web, i'm amazed :(

one would think that wilson made the glove especially for JC Higgins

130152491239 :?
spedrunr

Postby Studboy » September 18th, 2007, 12:33 am

The Dimaggio Rawlings 1st base mitt ended at $103.00 with 12 bids. Thanks for the heads up Brett & Joe. Looks like Glovewizard was the lucky/unlucky winning bidder.
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Next

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion